Mandatory testing at UK now for the unvaccinated

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Fur Feather, Aug 26, 2021.

1. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    It's been tested, employers absolutely have that right. I don't get people being upset and taking the " freedom" angle. As an employer I should absolutely have the right to run MY business as I see fit. That's my freedom.
    Employees freedom is to go find another job.

2. Fur Feather

Fur Feather 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2002
    Lexington, KY, USA.
    Back when all of this started I had to quarantine for 14 days because my coworker got covid, so they sent me home on a paid vacation. That was pretty sweet!

Feedman and Tankt like this.
  3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    In theory you are correct….but this is goobermint compulsion. Nothing more. The federal goobermint is using corporate American to impose tyranny. How do you not see that? Businesses gave up their “it’s my business and I can run it however I want” years ago.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  4. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    I may not like it but I agree.

barney, Gooser, Ataulbe1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    You follow OSHA rules, right? No different. You have to follow whatever guidelines the gov't says. If the govt says it's discrimination or compromising someone's freedoms or whatever, you will follow those laws as well.

drakeshooter likes this.
  6. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    My company did the same

7. slickhead slayer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I would agree with you if the Gov mandated businesses require vaccinations. They aren't, which means it's up to the employer. That's as American as it gets to me.
    I don't like the government telling an employer he HAS to require vaccinations, just like I don't like the government telling an employer he CAN'T require vaccines. I think it needs to be an employers decision.

8. slickhead slayer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Yeah and I don't agree with that. In this instance the gov isn't forcing anything. They are allowing the employer to decide. I agree with an employer having the right to decide, even if I disagree with what they choose.

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Agreed….but make no mistake about it, the goobermint is threatening companies to comply.

slickhead slayer likes this.
  10. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    We all have accepted vaccines most of our lives because, as a general rule they help save lives. Having to take them by threatening your ability to provide for your family or travel freely just rubs me the wrong way. Truth is these vaccines have the potential for acute and long term side effects. There needs to be a line in the sand as to what employers are allowed to do to your body.. This jab scares the crap out of a lot of people for good reason.
    who really trust big pharma. If employer wants everyone to play a game of Russian roulette every morning to work there it's their right I guess. Still don't mean it's not stupid.
    I just hate what all of us have given up to our government and our employers. I hope one day it will swing back in the other direction and individual rights will be important again.

11. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    My understanding is the daily screening is OSHA compliance. The vaccination or weekly testing is UK compliance. They set the precedent 7-8 years ago with mandating the flu vaccine.

12. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I'm fine with companies mandating certain requirements as a condition of employment. But, if they are going to mandate a medical procedure, then that company should be held liable for any negative side effects that occur due to the procedure they mandated.

There's also the fact that no one - not government and not private business - should be requiring anything from an employee aa far as that person's private health care choices are concerned. It's a mighty slippery slope to stand upon, when a business requires a vaccine. Does that same company require a flu shot annually as a condition of employment? What about other vaccines?

If not - why now? All for a virus that will NOT be eliminated in any time soon, which has a very low mortality rate across all but a specific demographic (< 1% by all accounts, except for the age cohort of 80+), and for which the vaccines developed were not tested in the traditional manner, were approved under emergency use authority, and use untested technology (all but one, I believe, are mRNA based).

While I'm all for liberty - both personal and corporate - mandating a vaccine for employment is a bit much. I worked in an environment where I had the potential to be exposed to tuberculosis, and know people who had that happen. Our department required an annual TB skin test, or a chest xray if you declined. Not a major issue either way, especially given that TB appears to be the 10th leading cause of death worldwide, according to some CDC data I found. Pretty sure COVID-19 isn't up that high, lol.

The only other requirement my department had was to either take the HBV shot or sign a declination form. I took the shots, as they weren't exactly untested tech and hepatitis is a nasty mother effin bug - much worse than COVID-19, in my opinion...and I've anecdotally seen a lot of folks with hep and the 'rona. Lots died or have long term health issues from the former, but no deaths that I personally know and all recovered nicely from the latter.

So, tell me again what right a company has to tell me what I must stick in my body in order to work there? Will that same company require me to take a flu shot annually? Will they discipline me if I come to work with a cold or other contagious disease?

It's about control. Not health. Not concerns for the welfare of people, because small businesses and large corporations alike don't give a shit about their staff (generally speaking) - just how much money they make. Everyone is replaceable and that whole "I care about my employees" sounds good, until it affects the bottom line.

I do see both sides of the liberty issue here - businesses should have a right to operate as they see fit, within a set of legal and ethical standards. However, individuals should not be forced to choose between injecting themselves with medication and gainful employment. We aren't the property of business and the relationship should begin and end with job performance...nothing else.

13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

No I think the smart presidents/CEOs are just continuing smart business. If you are a smoker then you pay higher insurance. If the statistics say you are a higher risk for COVID and medical bills then you will pay more or the company will ask you to vaccinate.

14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I guess you've never tried to get life insurance. You will pay according to your MANDATORY physical exam, age, tobacco usage, and blood work. It ABSOLUTELY depends on your health care choices.

15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds

Extremely well stated. I concur. I would never dream of attempting to force even one of my employees/subcontractors into absorbing a substance of any kind. Such is insanity. It is not my right. Even if one were in the middle of a field dying of heat stroke down at Hurricane Ida, it is not my right to force water upon one. I can suggest it, but that is all.