Man mistakes friend for deer kills him with arrow

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rcb216, Sep 22, 2014.

1. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    If he isn't charged, talk about luck (or connections)...

2. Doublelung

Doublelung 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2009
    Central KY
    Something just doesn't seem right about this...

3. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

Archers should be required to wear Orange just like Gun Hunters.

4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Only crossbow hunters.

5. cburton

cburton 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2014
    Got no problem wearing orange when walking at any time.

6. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

An Arrow is an Arrow........and you can launch them well out to 200 yards according to some.

7. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    A crossbow shoots no farther than a compound bow.....I like to shoot my friends under 40 yards so they don't duck the arrow.

8. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I got to say I started this year using a crossbow. I always thought it would be like using a gun. Well It isn't. I actually would prefer my compound. I don't feel comfortable shooting past 30 yards. I have a scope on mine with a 20 yard crosshair then a crosshair all the way out to 60 yards. Well if you zero out at 60 your good from 40-60. But under that your off. If you zero out at 20 at 40 I'm off. So I'm limited. A crossbow has one shot. The days of me getting doubles is gone. Also they are loud. And mine has a complete crossbow silencing system on it. I feel like I am at a disadvantage with mine. It is not user friendly. It is heavy, bulky and not easy to use in a stand. But that is mine maybe yours is better.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  9. OldEarnhardtFan

OldEarnhardtFan 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2014
    Northeast of Berea
    Anytime I'm on the move, I wear an orange hat! It doesn't come off until I'm in my stand and when I walk in during darkness I carry a flashlight and shine it all around not just where I'm walking. If I spook a deer....no big deal but my well-being is more important than any booner.....My opinion and I'm sticking by it!

10. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I'd say he could've wore a strobe light and it wouldn't matter

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Sad it happened....as said no excuse for mistaking your intended target.
    I would bet the shooters eyesight is lacking. I knew a older guy who was so vain he refused to wear his glasses except to read sometimes. He made the mistake more than once shooting a doe thinking it was a small buck. Showed up at my house late one night to see if I still had a doe permit I would let him have to tag one he shot. I could very well picture him mistaking a person during archery season for a deer unless in the wide open.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    An accidental discharge while walking in or sitting together makes sense to me. Mistaking his buddy for a deer is not a possibility for an "experienced hunter." The news folks may be misreporting too, they tend to have a hard time with facts.

13. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    I started using a crossbow three years ago and I'd have to say they are the most awkward weapon I've ever used. They are bulky and heavy and I'd give anything if I was able to go back to my Mathews.

14. I still do not understand how you can mistake a person for a deer.It just does not make sense.

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Good points. I say same thing about XBows. Not like a gun at all. You rock off just a little and you won't miss hit, you'll miss the whole target/deer. Also, you're rarely if ever going to get a second shot if you miss. I've gotten multiple shots with a bow. Also today's compounds will shoot for distance better than most XBows. A Xbow is a definite advantage for limiting movement though. Now off that soapbox, I must agree that this is a stupid tragedy that should never happen! They can call it what they want but being the Xbokilla I just don't see how this is an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk