male down

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Cmattingly, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    Here is what mans best friend is suppose to bring back.LOL[​IMG]

2. buck shot

buck shot 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2008
    letcher co KY
    I guess you just happened to pick that one up on your way home from work . she probably ran it by you and you hit it in the head with a shovel . Good job Chuck shure is a pretty one . what kind of scope do you have on that shovel anyway?

3. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Sam did a real nice job bringing back old Canis Latrans, Chuck! She sure is growing fast and filling out of be a coyote's worst nightmare. Now, if she can just train her owner, -------well, you can't expect a pup under a year old to do every little thing, can you?

4. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    She is working on gettting me trained and she does not have much to work with.LOL Buck shot she will bring in your lap,a shovel is not a bad ideal,it would not make as much noise as the 22-250.LOL

5. jamesw

jamesw 6 pointer

Mar 23, 2011
    seky
    Sweet, I have heard of people using dogs to bring em back. That is awesome. I gotta do some research, I wouldn't even know how to start training one to do that. Is the dog a curr? I think I will use my lil cocker spaniel for bait when I go. lol

6. Cmattingly

Cmattingly 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2008
    nichlosville ky.
    She is a mtn. cur and she train me

7. jamesw

jamesw 6 pointer

Mar 23, 2011
    seky
    I watched a few vids on hunting with dogs. Is The yote trying to catch and hurt the dog of follow it to the wounded animal call? Good looking dog you got there. My old man had a brindle cur that looked alot like your dog. He tried hunting squirrels with her. She was fast as lightning and was catching on real well but she hunted way too wide. She prolly would've made a good coyote getter.

8. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    jamesw, a lot of this decoy dog things dates back to Bill Austin and what appeared to be a black and white farm shepherd. Bill and his buddy would sit right out in the open with their everyday clothes on, and that darned dog would work those coyotes just like a herd dog works cattle or sheep. I don't recall Bill having any electronic collars to tone him back either, just a little whistle or a squeal or two on one of his mouth calls and old Shep would start coming closer back to Bill, First thing you know, he'd have three or four coyotes laying dead.

I believe that Merv Griswald and some of those dog men just use a little whistle the do with their mouth to tone their dogs back in. If they think one of their dogs is getting too far out and possibly asking for trouble, they hustle on out in that direction to make sure the odds aren't stack in Wiley's favor. The dogs get trained from the time they are puppies to come to that command to get something good, and their hearing is amazing. Not all dogs of a particular breeding work out to be a coyote decoy dog, but many of them still work out well for squirrel, bobcats, raccoons, etc..

9. jamesw

jamesw 6 pointer

Mar 23, 2011
    seky

10. kyotin

kyotin Fawn

Aug 6, 2011
    Richmond, Kentucky
    nice yote ya got there! i wish i had a place just to keep a dog! lol the perfect weather is soon to come! the colder the better for me!!!!

11. XFORCE

XFORCE 8 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Hey Chuck great job once again. Guess your probably getting a chance to slow down from work and do more hunting. I haven't been for a good while now and I miss it. Sonn as I get me a good buck I will be in full yote mode. Just got a new AR-15 for the use on some of my smaller farms where I seem to get multiple yotes coming in at once. Anyway great job once again!!!