Making Sorghum

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
Anybody on here make Sorghum? If so I would like to pick your brain. Thanks in advance.

hunt-4-life21

12 pointer
Sep 26, 2007
Butler Co.
PM scratch. He's made for a while, if I remember correctly. If my dad was on here, he could talk for days on the process. I was never old enough to help but my dads family made for about a month straight for no telling how many years.

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
I will have to ask scratch a few questions. I want to start small next year (if our house is sold and move to a house with property) and then make it a big family tradition year after year. I love me some sorghum and I would love to start a good family tradition. Thanks for the info guys.

rather-b-huntn

10 pointer
Sep 18, 2009
blue side tha' mountain...
I'm not sure where you are located but here in my home county it used to be a big tradition. The Cambell Farm would host a "Sorghum Festival" every year in the fall. I remember going as kid and thinking how cool it was. They had haybales to play on and games for kids, lots of homemade stuff for sale. It seemed like half the county was there! You could watch them make it and buy your own jar right there. Another family "The Bayes'" also used to host an event. It was more low key and about SERIOUS sorghum make'n....seemed that way anyways. I think a few down on Wilson Creek are still getting together in the fall and making it. I would love to see it become big like it used to be. Be nice to take the young'ns to.

hunt-4-life21

12 pointer
Sep 26, 2007
Butler Co.
Amish make quite a bit near Scottsville. I've went and watched them before and they have a pretty good operation. There are quite a few different families down there that make. Its definitely not an easy thing to do. It takes work and people know have done it before. I think there is a sorghum festival in Hancock Co. each year too.

Giveem3outdoors

12 pointer
Jan 18, 2009
ohio county ky
We make here in cromwell. Theres a thread on here somewhere with pictures and such. Id be glad to help you in any way i can my family has been making over 100 years its just a big family get together for us its alot of fun. Im glad to see someone new wanting to start sorghum makers are a dying breed. Its amazing how far people will drive to get good sorghum.Once you get your name out there you cant make enough of it.

Last edited:

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
How long does sorghum keep and what are some good uses for it besides putting it on your biscuits? About 2 or 3 years ago, my wife's grandma gave us a bunch of jars of stuff she canned up herself. Most of it was jelly and blackberries, but I opened a jar last night thinking it was jelly and it turned out to be sorghum. We already had a bottle of some we bought for a recipe once and we just don't go through it very quickly.

Davidlondon4

12 pointer
Dec 2, 2004
Laurel County
Seems I have heard of a type of candy being made from sorghum but I dont have a clue how.I recall when I was real young someone in my family tried to make it.I think it
involves heating sorghum for awhile and then pulling and tugging at it and finally cutting it.I am guessing that was 45 plus years ago.

Giveem3outdoors

12 pointer
Jan 18, 2009
ohio county ky
How long does sorghum keep and what are some good uses for it besides putting it on your biscuits? About 2 or 3 years ago, my wife's grandma gave us a bunch of jars of stuff she canned up herself. Most of it was jelly and blackberries, but I opened a jar last night thinking it was jelly and it turned out to be sorghum. We already had a bottle of some we bought for a recipe once and we just don't go through it very quickly.

As long as it hasnt turned to sugar itll be fine if it has gone to sugar you can put it in the microwave and melt it back down or u can boil water on the stove with the jar in it and melt it back down just stir it occasionally. if you dont eat it much keep it in the freezer it will keep it from going to sugar.

MikeKy

10 pointer
Feb 17, 2008
Jonas Yoder in Crittenden Co. makes the best sorghum I've ever had. Took some to my Dad who is a sorghum snob and he kept it for eating. He claims he can tell in one bite if it has been cut with corn syrup. He gave all his other sorghum to my Mom to make cookies with. Said it had been cut. I've got a quart now someone else made. It looks like old motor oil but doesn't taste as good. I tried using it to lay down a trailing scent for coon but they would have none of it. I might have to put what's left in a pint jar and regift it.

Giveem3outdoors

12 pointer
Jan 18, 2009
ohio county ky
Seems I have heard of a type of candy being made from sorghum but I dont have a clue how.I recall when I was real young someone in my family tried to make it.I think it
involves heating sorghum for awhile and then pulling and tugging at it and finally cutting it.I am guessing that was 45 plus years ago.

Jonas Yoder in Crittenden Co. makes the best sorghum I've ever had. Took some to my Dad who is a sorghum snob and he kept it for eating. He claims he can tell in one bite if it has been cut with corn syrup. He gave all his other sorghum to my Mom to make cookies with. Said it had been cut. I've got a quart now someone else made. It looks like old motor oil but doesn't taste as good. I tried using it to lay down a trailing scent for coon but they would have none of it. I might have to put what's left in a pint jar and regift it.
yea alot of people are cutting it with corn syrup even some amish are doing it now. alot of the amish sorghum aint fit to eat. Alot of it has to do with the way the canes been worked up if the cane hasnt been stripped it makes a big difference. If the cane hasnt been stripped of the leaves and deheaded the sorghum wont be fit for livestock as far as im concerned.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Does anyone within an hour or so of Lexington/Frankfort make sorghum? I would **love** to go see it being done again. I remember my parents taking me to see it made back in the mountains when I was a kid....

Latest posts