Mailing Large Packages

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by xbokilla, Aug 19, 2019.

1. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Buddy & me camped from here to all over Alaska in tent/cots . To ship them back was more than we paid for them. We left them with a woman in her garage in Anchorage and told her if they get in the way sell them/throw away or we will be back. That same trip was when they had the ship anywhere for $7 USPS. We boxed all of our clothes and belongings and shipped back for 30 some dollars. When we arrived at the airport to fly home our checked bags and carry on where full of frozen sockeye salmon & halibut.:)

Snareman2, Brody and barney like this.
  2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    That can't be right I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and have shipped bows and other large boxes all over the country , I have never paid more then $70 to ship a bow and it went to California. I will say the most expensive places to ship are the west coast and the extreme NE states.. I use fedx , UPS and USPS.

I can have a car shipped from here to California or vise versa for under $1000 , or on a container ship from Japan for about the same .

Where did you mail the Xbow to, Africa? :D

3. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    The USPS better be cheaper. Its losing almost $4 billion a year.

4. Huh? I wasn’t aware there was a country on earth the usps didn’t have agreements with. New one on me.

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Gov can lose money , it doesn't care..

A private company like UPS or FedEx can not afford to lose money.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Nope just Pennsylvania and the other time was to Parker in Virginia and they asked $127. Like I said, $52.80 with USPS.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I almost always ended up using USPS..

8. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I shipped a complete set of ATV plastics to Colorado about 4 years ago for $60
    I used Greyhound shipping, I'd never even heard of them shipping larger items until then.
    I had to deliver the pack to a greyhound facility about 35 minutes away,
    I framed it with 2 1/4 in flooring and stapled cardboard on the exterior, and shrink wrapped it.

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    That's what they told me at the UPS store. Never followed up.

drakeshooter likes this.
  10. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Advice From an old retired mailman.
    The USPS does indeed ship to Albania, Russia, South pole and everywhere on planet earth.

They are almost Always cheaper that the other bunch and a lot of your UPS, FED EX parcels are dropped off at the PO, relabeled and delivered by the USPS.

I have sent a Lot of Flat Rate parcels to my Son when he was in Afghanistan and if you are shipping to an APO Box, its the same rate as sending it across the street.
    You can also send Firearms through the mail, just have to go to a FFL license holder...

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    My brother has mailed firearms for years. Not sure about the legal process. He boxes and no one ever asks. He used to wheel and deal guns often, not as much these days.

12. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I bought a new Remington rifle a few years ago....one with the bad trigger. I notified Remington and they sent me a UPS pick-up for the rifle....but UPS wouldn't pick it up at my house, I had to take it to their facility over by the airport (SDF).

So, I go carrying in a 300 ultra mag and a box....I was instructed that UPS had to pack the rifle. When I walked in, there were about six guys taking a break up near the entrance. From their expressions, I could tell that they weren't accustomed to seeing a guy walk in toting a hunting rifle....

13. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I shipped out a complete AR upper receiver from work, packed in a sound bar box. I thought God if anyone cuts into this thing I'll probably lose my job lol

14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    It's been quite a while since I shipped a rifle off to be restocked, or for some other work. I sent the last rifle by USPS, to Missouri, as we don't have a UPS store in Campbellsville, Ky.!! The only one is located between Campbellsville & Columbia in Adair County. This is around a 60 mile round-trip for me; and they are only open for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Now, in the future, if I need some Gunsmithing work on any of my firearms, I will take it up to the Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown.

15. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    There is a UPS facility just outside of Campbellsville on 55 towards Columbia. It is on the right before you get to Cox,s wood place. I drop packages off there all the time in the box.