Lowest harvest totals in last 12 years

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
Well there you go. I personally have known a bunch of people growing up that absolutely would have killed a turkey on the roost. 100% would have shot him dead as Abe Lincoln. Not one of them ever did. I just don't think there is that much opportunity... Day or night. How many turkeys do you think we lose to day and night roost shooting annually? Ballpark.
I know question wasn't for me but I'd bet is may be under 100 statewide, not many. That's less than 1 bird per county so I may be a tad low lol.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
From KDFWR, concerning baiting deer in KY;

Checked with our senior deer biologist, and he believes baiting was legal beginning with the first deer hunt in 1956.
I got another email from KDFWR senior deer biologist. He sent a PDF of the first deer regulations from 1956. It states that baiting for deer is NOT PROHIBITED. Baiting for deer has been legal in Kentucky since the first season in 1956. PDF won't attach. I'll be glad to forward to anyone interested. Just shoot me PM with email address.

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
I got another email from KDFWR senior deer biologist. He sent a PDF of the first deer regulations from 1956. It states that baiting for deer is NOT PROHIBITED. Baiting for deer has been legal in Kentucky since the first season in 1956. PDF won't attach. I'll be glad to forward to anyone interested. Just shoot me PM with email address.
Thanks for clearing that up. I know that everybody has baited deer for as long as I can remember and never heard a word about it not being legal. Back in the day even if you were baiting it didn't mean you would see anything because they were so few and far between.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
I didn't say anything but I honestly thought you were wrong about the date. I could of swore in the late 80's and early 90's I was fuming made at people that I knew baited deer and killed one. At that time I thought that was so unfair. I didn't know a thing about hunting but thought I did, just ignorant.

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
Good info, I have never looked into it and didn't have a clue, either way, that baiting for deer has been the norm since the inception of deer hunting in KY. I'm not a biologist and haven't a clue on how this affects turkey numbers, but the deer seem to be doing very well. I do know that the places I turkey AND deer hunt, that I can bait,(for deer in the fall, and I do) have seen a drastic decline in turkey numbers, especially the last 5+ years, even though I've put out corn for deer, every year, for a much longer time than that.

The drop in turkey numbers on the places that I hunt doesn't correlate with baiting deer with corn in the fall, but I do hope that with all the eyes on turkey numbers across many states that the biologists come up with a plan to help improve numbers and get us back to knocking on the door of our carrying capacity, that should be the ultimate goal to protect this great resource.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I didn't say anything but I honestly thought you were wrong about the date. I could of swore in the late 80's and early 90's I was fuming made at people that I knew baited deer and killed one. At that time I thought that was so unfair. I didn't know a thing about hunting but thought I did, just ignorant.
I knew it was legal in early 70’s for certain.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Please tell us the biologist name as I would like to know if he was even alive in '56. When I go back through some of my archives from the late '80s and find a couple of deer guides that state baiting deer was prohibited, I'll be glad to prove him wrong.
Shoot me your email address and I’ll forward you the regs from 1956. You will not find a guide from the 80’s that says baiting is prohibited I bet you my next pay check against your’s. Except on public land.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Please tell us the biologist name as I would like to know if he was even alive in '56. When I go back through some of my archives from the late '80s and find a couple of deer guides that state baiting deer was prohibited, I'll be glad to prove him wrong.
Bet

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
what difference does it make if alive or not? It’s the original document from F&W for 1956. I understand it must be hard for you to admit you’re wrong but you’re friggen wrong. Baiting for deer in Ky on private land has always been legal.

Latest posts