Attachments

• Screenshot_20220517-060359_Chrome_copy_837x922.jpg
    Screenshot_20220517-060359_Chrome_copy_837x922.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 14

GrandSlammer

8 pointer
May 14, 2009
Right where I wanna be!
Would you consider a consistent upward trend, followed by a consistent downward trend, ebb and flow?
If that’s been the case, absolutely. But it’s not been, there have been lots of ups and downs with the population over the last 20 years. I’m done. You and a couple of your buddies on here only want to believe what you want to believe and try all you can do to run the rest of the people off of this forum. I’ll just enjoy another season next year when we can harvest 2 gobblers again because that’s what the biologists of the state will say we can do because our population is stable yet again, and not what the handful of guys on an Internet forum try and make the rest of the world believe.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
If that’s been the case, absolutely. But it’s not been, there have been lots of ups and downs with the population over the last 20 years. I’m done. You and a couple of your buddies on here only want to believe what you want to believe and try all you can do to run the rest of the people off of this forum. I’ll just enjoy another season next year when we can harvest 2 gobblers again because that’s what the biologists of the state will say we can do because our population is stable yet again, and not what the handful of guys on an Internet forum try and make the rest of the world believe.
That's been the case, absolutely, and it's not ebb and flow. It's population decline, as stated by biologists all over the country. For the life of me, I can't figure out why you continue to dispute this. I don't want to run people off, the more the merrier. I have no issue with you at all. But I don't hesitate to question, or call out people, when they state things that simply aren't true.

Things will really get interesting if the state fish and game departments decide one of the ways to reduce turkey mortality is to ban baiting for deer.

Will folks throw baiting to the wayside to save the turkey? Baiting has been ingrained into the culture by now.

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
Things will really get interesting if the state fish and game departments decide one of the ways to reduce turkey mortality is to ban baiting for deer.

Will folks throw baiting to the wayside to save the turkey? Baiting has been ingrained into the culture by now.
That ain't gonna happen until CWD hits and they have to enforce their "plan"

GrandSlammer

8 pointer
May 14, 2009
Right where I wanna be!

That’s hilarious.
Baiting has been wide open forever. Even when the turkey population was exploding and booming to record numbers.
Where do some of you guys come up with this stuff?

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
That’s hilarious.
Baiting has been wide open forever. Even when the turkey population was exploding and booming to record numbers.
I agree with you, but this idea has been suggested by many. It's been discussed here. There are many that believe baiting with corn is hurting the turkey population. There have been several articles on it. I said the same thing as you did. If baiting corn was hurting the population, why did it just start doing so in the last few years? Baiting has been legal in Ky since the 60's. Corn has been king, and used heavily for 30 or more. Makes zero sense.

That’s hilarious.
I didn’t say I believed it. But it’s being discussed, so the question is a legitimate one. Here’s a recent article our own Pentail wrote. So, here’s where this type stuff comes from - articles. The article states poor nutrition, aflatoxins, concentrating predators, etc.

Edit to add: If there’s a decline in western KY, my bet is on habitat loss and spring flooding.

Last edited:

KYH5N1

10 pointer
Jan 19, 2008
In the nightmares of turkeys
I agree with you, but this idea has been suggested by many. It's been discussed here. There are many that believe baiting with corn is hurting the turkey population. There have been several articles on it. I said the same thing as you did. If baiting corn was hurting the population, why did it just start doing so in the last few years? Baiting has been legal in Ky since the 60's. Corn has been king, and used heavily for 30 or more. Makes zero sense.
No, no. Baiting for deer wasn't legal in KY in the 60's. Probably more like in the 90's.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
No, no. Baiting for deer wasn't legal in KY in the 60's. Probably more like in the 90's.
You're nuts. I don't know what year it was made legal, but I know for a fact it was legal in the 70's. I'll find out.

Last edited:

Latest posts