Timp2

6 pointer
May 2, 2005
4AF080D8-B5FA-4104-BD66-E0AADA6EE1F3.jpeg
AA0CD24D-4C7B-4134-B2E2-624255E3814B.jpeg
6DA092EE-29AC-41BE-8D5B-A00D92BA3637.jpeg
C844DA42-AF11-4D71-AE62-93EB13DDADF5.jpeg
59D47403-1B81-4871-ACD6-1393BE183F9B.jpeg
Unfortunately lost the farm I hunted in the middle of this season. Had several encounters with these the last few years and just wasn’t able to get one. Always bad timing, or I’d have to watch them right across the property line on many occasions. Thought I’d share some trail camera pics. From what the landowner told me the property right next to the one I hunted raised these in a 15 acre pen and eventually they let the fences go and they all escaped in the 60’s. Now on several pieces of land in the area and you’ll see one show up at local taxidermists or processors on occasion.

FF/EMT516

8 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Blackrock, Ky
That’s really cool. I never knew there were any up there. I haven’t looked at the regs, but I assume there’s a season for them? I’ve never talked to anyone that hunts them.

Timp2

6 pointer
May 2, 2005
No season, treated as invasive species. I learned my lesson early on about always taking a rifle. Had 4 of the stags go past me at 40 yards while shed hunting and just had to stand and watch. There seems to be quite a few of them. I’ll see the females in groups of 12-15 sometimes with 3-4 stags. The property next door is several hundred acres and owner hasn’t allowed hunting in many years. I think there are a lot of them there. I know someone who hunts close by who has killed 2 stags

Timp2

6 pointer
May 2, 2005
Wonder if they have bred with whitetails?
I haven’t seen any that I would say look like a cross between the two but who knows. The Sika rut seems to get going a month or so ahead of whitetail. The high pitch bugle they make is crazy to hear

CRFmxracer

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2010
louisville kentucky
View attachment 96525 View attachment 96526 View attachment 96527 View attachment 96528 View attachment 96529 Unfortunately lost the farm I hunted in the middle of this season. Had several encounters with these the last few years and just wasn’t able to get one. Always bad timing, or I’d have to watch them right across the property line on many occasions. Thought I’d share some trail camera pics. From what the landowner told me the property right next to the one I hunted raised these in a 15 acre pen and eventually they let the fences go and they all escaped in the 60’s. Now on several pieces of land in the area and you’ll see one show up at local taxidermists or processors on occasion.
I was told they were running an illegal game farm and the guy was about to be caught so he let ‘Em all go. Said there was mule deer let go too, which have bred with whitetails over the years. Any truth to that?

Timp2

6 pointer
May 2, 2005
I was told they were running an illegal game farm and the guy was about to be caught so he let ‘Em all go. Said there was mule deer let go too, which have bred with whitetails over the years. Any truth to that?

Never heard anything about Mule deer. The landowner who let me hunt has had this farm in the family since the early 60’s, far enough back where he remembers seeing the Sika when they were fenced in still on the property next-door. Not sure about the exact means of their release. He didn’t ever say anything about seeing mule deer though.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Roughly where on the Snyder do folks see these on occasion? The Kid lives off of Beulah Church near McNeely Lake and would get a kick out of spotting them.

p.s. He just sent me a link where someone was trying to find a tracking dog after shooting a deer yesterday just off of Cooper Chapel.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Roughly where on the Snyder do folks see these on occasion? The Kid lives off of Beulah Church near McNeely Lake and would get a kick out of spotting them.

p.s. He just sent me a link where someone was trying to find a tracking dog after shooting a deer yesterday just off of Cooper Chapel.
Around the Billtown Rd exit, IIRC. Big pretty hillside runs up from the highway
Screenshot_20220114-070354~2_copy_417x475.png

Last edited:

Latest posts