Louisville Public Land

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by bbailey24, Aug 4, 2019.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Wear a life vest and neoprene waders which float and more importantly; insulate you even if you get wet. I would not be afraid to get on any local river when conditions are reasonable. Watch the weather report and be prepared to get wet/cold. Prepare for the worst possible scenario and get on the water early in the fall to find out what surprises the river has in store. Learn when its warm on a squirrel float hunt etc prior to duck season.

Meatstick likes this.
  2. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Hook up with Wprebeck, he and his son are hardcore Louisville fowlers. I'm sure he can put you on the birds :D

3. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I don't see how that's any different than any other body of water though.

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    It's not. I just don't like a kayak in cold weather, regardless if I'm in a cow pond or the gulf lol

5. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    [​IMG]

watch out for a red s-10

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  6. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Red s10 is out new sheriff in town now. Stay off my wma.

7. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Ain’t this some BULLBUTTER!!!

8. Giveem3outdoors

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    ole reds10er just couldnt keep up with the times the boat ramps just keep getting wider and the ole s10 ain't getting any longer. I've got me a school bus complete with camo paint job. Drake waterfowl stickers and an led light bar. This bad boy is about to see more air time than a skateboard at the x-games.

Meatstick likes this.
  9. SummertimeCarl

SummertimeCarl Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    Louisville
    I've deer/squirrel/rabbit hunted John C. Williams WMA not far south of Louisville and heard what I imagine to be duck hunters a few times. Just a pond for kayaks, though, I imagine they're mostly just wading through flooded marsh areas.

I'm from Louisville also, just bought a Gheenoe, looking to get into duck hunting on public land. Hunted WMA's but not ducks.

For you all talking about rivers and tributaries, am I missing something or are the rules different on the water? Are there WMA's on the Ohio ya'll are speaking of, or is any public river legal to hunt so long as you stay in the water?

bbailey24 likes this.
  10. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I know you said you are new to duck hunting. Study river laws and don't get an education on KYHunting. Yall make sure to stay up around Louisville and off my river. If you have to ask where, you don't need to know.

11. Giveem3outdoors

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Feller named Itall owns it all. If your lucky you can get written permission.

12. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    No ducks on the rivers, stay in the corn fields.

13. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Mergangsters and water chickens only.

14. SummertimeCarl

SummertimeCarl Fawn

Jan 16, 2018
    Louisville
    Would love to study the river laws but am just not sure where to find them. Any ideas on where to start? I've looked on fw.ky.gov but don't see a lot of information that isn't talking about WMA's specifically. Can Google info on river hunting laws in West Virginia and Texas, but haven't found anything for Kentucky.

Not really hoping to hunt the Ohio, certainly nowhere near Ballard county, but would like the opportunity for Salt River or Kentucky River. I pay for my license, am a Duck Unlimited, NWTF, NRA member, etc. Really hoping no one would get mad at me for trying to shoot a duck or two to try it out.

Have heard many people say "I've hunted rivers up and down my whole life" but just because people hunt it doesn't mean it's legal. I'd rather play it safe than be uncertain if a game warden approaches.

If there are any leads on KY river hunting laws I'd be glad to follow them to do the proper research!

15. Giveem3outdoors

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Just hunt around someone with a slower boat than yours.

Meatstick likes this.