Louisville Public Land

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by bbailey24, Aug 4, 2019.

1. bbailey24

bbailey24 Fawn

Jul 31, 2019
    Louisville, KY
    I moved to Louisville, KY this summer to attend physical therapy school. I was born and raised in Alabama and have been an avid public land hunter my entire life. I plan on duck hunting out of a kayak this year and have only found Taylorsville lake that seems worth a shot. What other public body’s of water would y’all recommend checking out in the Louisville area for ducks (divers or puddle ducks)? I am not asking for anyone’s spot or honey hole I’m just a guy trying to get away (if school allows) and go chase some birds.

SummertimeCarl likes this.
  2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Ohio river. But you'll need a bigger boat.

Brsutton86 likes this.
  3. bbailey24

bbailey24 Fawn

Jul 31, 2019
    Louisville, KY
    Unfortunately all I have is a Kayak. I’ve hunted the Tennessee River my entire life and I understand how current, debris, waves, etc are basically impossible with a kayak. So I should rule out the Ohio in a Kayak?

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  4. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I wouldnt try the Ohio with a kayak. As for the Louisville area hunting I'm of no help.

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I wouldn't try the Big O in a kayak. Go to KY F&W online look up public hunting sites there. See what is close for you. Tville can be good late when ponds start to freeze. Check out Salt river. I don't hunt public land for waterfowl. Mostly private. So not much help on public stuff. But online it will show you public hunting places for waterfowl. Good luck.

6. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Don't try the Ohio in a yak.
    Stay off my Salt River, or I'll slit your tires.
    Taylorsville ain't bad when/if it gets cold

7. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Tire slitting talk this early in August. I like it.

8. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Start here:

https://app.fw.ky.gov/Public_Lands_Search/default.aspx

9. bbailey24

bbailey24 Fawn

Jul 31, 2019
    Louisville, KY
    Territorial over public land huh? Sounds like the crew I hunt with on the Tennessee River. Does Taylorsville get mostly divers or is there any mallards/gadwall also?

10. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Little bit of both. Emphasis on little bit

Brsutton86 likes this.
  11. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Focus on the tributaries that feed the Ohio and most days you could be on the Ohio since with the kayak you would be right along the bank anyway. Hunt the mouth of the tributaries or find places you can put out decoys on the main channel. Wear breathable waders so you can still maneuver in the kayak. No matter what like everywhere you have to find a place where ducks are so scout. Ducks are very weather dependent around here. Good luck.

12. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    West winds are your friend on the big O. Nothing better than freezing temps and strong west winds.

KDT

13. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I've had a kayak on the Ohio several times and am part of a group whose members take their yaks out there all the time. I've even kayaked through the locks at Louisville. I'm not really sure what the concern is on taking one out on the Ohio. Would you people object to taking one out on Kentucky or Barkley lakes?

14. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I've kayaked all over the Ohio river as well, but I won't when it's cold (duck season.) Fella could find himself in a bad way fast. But, it can be done, no doubt.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  15. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Go west and (depending on time of year) north or south.