Louisville basketball continues to be #1 in one ranking

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Tim T, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    They sell beer at the chicken bucket:highly_amused:

It has to help

3. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Yeah, but most of the Louisville residents are watching Kentucky play. Just sayin. Enjoy these couple of years TT. I actually like UL more since I let the Pitino thing go. But please, don't ever think Cardinal nation exceeds Big Blue Nation in fan membership.

PS I tried to get to the specifics of what factored into the formula but too many dang ads came up so I bailed on the link.

4. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    yes of course, the city of Louisville is FULL of UK fans! ;)

Here ya go, not sure how the Forbes site outsmarted your computer, but I will post the relevant facts for you.

"Louisville has been among college basketball’s three most valuable teams ever since we started ranking the teams in 2008, but that financial success turned to dominance when Louisville began playing home games in the KFC Yum! Center. The new waterfront arena, which opened in 2010, has the third-highest capacity among college basketball arenas."

"The new home court allows Louisville to host huge gameday crowds, and the team has ranked third in average home game attendance in every season since its opening (Kentucky and Syracuse have ranked first and second, respectively). Last year the Cardinals collected $12 million from ticket sales alone."

"Alumni have also been pleased, as the school counts a massive $29 million in contributions, nearly 75% of which it attributes to the basketball team."

"Add on some $6 million in NCAA and conference distributions and another million in parking and concession sales, and you’ve got the sport’s best recipe for success."

Not to worry though 3G, UK is ranked third, right behind Kansas.

5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    Butler co
    It helps when you play 20 home games. Uk played 18. That's this year. Didn't check last season.

6. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Much like Lexington...that's all they've got.
    Where I live, we have the state team, UK...or less, if we are crazy enough to like someone else.:p

7. RedTom

RedTom Spike

Nov 21, 2012
    Along the North Fork
    If they made that kind of money, why is the area a money pit? Was on the brink of default a year or so ago.

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
  9. RedTom

RedTom Spike

Nov 21, 2012
    Along the North Fork
    I take that back, the area is leased to UofL. They don't operate it. Same as UK leases Rupp.......My BAD!

10. KY River Rat

KY River Rat 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2008

11. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    Easy when all the ul fans watch every uk game so they can try to find something to talk bad about them. Then they watch all the ul games that are so they watch more college basketball.

12. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Tim T, I hate to burst your bubble, but the one and biggest thing the young Forbes writer didn't seem to factor in was all basketball related revenue such as team licensing, shirts, gear, paraphernalia and all the other garb rabid fans need to have. Truth be told, UK kills UL in that category thanks to Big Blue Nation. UK fans are worldwide, UL, not so much...

Don't hate the messenger just accept the truth.

13. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    Your not bursting anyone's bubble, because you haven't shown any facts, your just taking a wild guess in hopes you are right.

I think it would be hard to believe that UK would sell $7 million more in merchandise than Louisville, which would only put them in a tie. Delusions of grandeur are fine, but if you want to be the messenger, bring some facts with the message. It would at least be an attempt at trying to prove your "truth."

14. outdoor-addict

outdoor-addict 6 pointer

Jul 12, 2010
    Really didnt want to get involved in this but this could go along with fan loyalty. Hear me out lol. UK is one of if not the biggest brand name in college basketball which comes along with it a lot of "fair weather/bandwagon fans", which is to be expected of any big name school just look at all of the Alabama football fans that sprouted seemingly overnight the last few years. So, when things are going good for UK revenues go up (also the case with any team), however, when things arent going so great all of the so called "fans" jump off the bandwagon. http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...49/study-louisville-has-nations-best-fan-base This is a link to a study showing most loyal fan base relative to success. What this study is saying, in a nutshell, is that revenues over the years dont go down for Louisville just because they may not be having on the court/field success. Which is also why Arkansas is ahead of UK because win or lose they will be there packing the arenas and stadiums win or lose.

15. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04 10 pointer

Dec 14, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Well considering they just won the national championship and have been good the past few years, of course they made more money, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Funny the first year they did the study, UK was in the NIT and UL lost in the elite 8 but UK still made more money. Then later that year people in Louisville went out and bought their first UL apparel, then 2 years later you get a big new arena with over 20,000 people who can buy as many $7 beers as they want, of course they'll make more money. Give them 2 bad seasons and see where the money goes.