Looking to buy climber

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by snakebite, Dec 7, 2019.

1. snakebite

snakebite Spike

Oct 11, 2018
    mccreary county
    Found 1 on ebay $ 286 that's with tax an free shipping fair price or should I wait til after season an xmas

2. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

My suggestion is get with your friends, and ask them if you can give their stands a try. You don't have to take it hunting, you can climb any tree, and sit a while. You'll know immediately if you like the way it climbs. You'll know within 20 minutes if it's comfortable to sit in for any length of time.
    I have a Viper, two Goliath, and a Titan. I upgraded both Goliath and the Titan stands with a surround seat, and the summit storage bags. I'm 6'3" and 255. Plenty of room for me, and my gear.
    The bulk of my hunting is done with a bow. I will hunt with a gun or ML, and there are no issues there either.
    I've used API in the past. I did a quick google search before I started posting here. Do your homework. Looks like their may be some issues with getting replacement parts/chains for the API stands. My assumption is that there may have been a lawsuit that didn't end well for them.

3. Uscnoklahoma

Uscnoklahoma 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2013
    SC
    Craigslist or Facebook market after Christmas. I bought a practically new Summit 180 for $150 one year and a brand new Viper SD for $120 one year. Just keep your eyes open and be patient.

4. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
  5. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Why do you have 2 goliaths? Just to share with family? I think I’m gonna keep my viper for early season but I want a Goliath for colder weather when I’m wearing bulky clothing

6. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I have a muddy woodsman I bought last year. I find it very comfortable and not bad to carry either. It’s aluminum. I’ve never used anything other than a cheap Walmart stand before though

7. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    As long as it's a Summit you will be good to go regardless of which model you choose. Been using my viper over 20 years now and still love it.

littlebear likes this.
  8. bigredhunter

bigredhunter 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2012
    Boyle County
    Another vote for a summit viper. I’m thinking of selling mine to go the tree saddle route. You may want to look into those before buying a climber. I’m have been looking at the tetherd mantis

9. keith meador

I've had a Goliath for years. I bought a second one from a friend that didn't like his. I have a son that is 6'9" and he'll use it.
    A few years ago, I had some friends that came in to hunt. I offered up my stands to save them space in their truck, since they were here for a week. They were able to bring two extra coolers instead of taking up space with stands.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  10. keith meador

Just so ya know...Walmart doesn't manufacture stands. Those el cheapo's are manufactured for them, probably by one of the big name companies. Same goes for Cabelas and Bass Pro.

11. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008

Out of business.

Great stands just wish they made a smaller version.

12. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    Didn’t know that, what a shame. They were made in Tennessee

13. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter 6 pointer

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    I’ve had a Goliath and currently an api magnum supreme. When I had the Goliath I was upwards of 275 and had a hard time getting it to stay quiet in the tree..something seemed to squeak all the time. Have an old magnum and new, the old by far better than the new. Made a lot different now. old magnum is the best stand I’ve ever owned, it is heavy and bulky, but I get it in the tree and it’s like sitting in your easy chair.

14. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I have two Tree Lounges.

I would be willing to sell one. $150

Located in Murray

15. campmeat

campmeat Fawn

Oct 7, 2010
    Michigander likes this.