Looking for Some Information or Help

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by the_spotdoctor, Feb 5, 2014.

1. the_spotdoctor

the_spotdoctor Fawn

Feb 5, 2014
    Wetumpka, Alabama.
    I hope this is the right place to post. Seeing as how I live in Alabama, don't know a whole lot about hunting in Kentucky. But, I have killed my share in Bama. I want to come to Kentucky this coming hunting season and would like some information. All of ya'll up there think the better hunting is in west or east Kentucky. Also, I would like to find an outfitter or private individual that would do a do it yourself hunt, no guide needed. In other words, I really don't want to hunt public land. I have heard there are few outfitters or people that will do that. Thanks in advance for any information.

2. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    I take it your trophy hunting? What size of deer are you after?

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky

4. the_spotdoctor

the_spotdoctor Fawn

Feb 5, 2014
    Wetumpka, Alabama.
    Yes more or less trophy hunting, I have killed a couple of 130-140 class bucks in Alabama, but really just looking for something different and if a Trophy comes along that would be great too.

5. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Head East to the highest mountain top you can find.

6. the_spotdoctor

the_spotdoctor Fawn

Feb 5, 2014
    Wetumpka, Alabama.
    I have heard a little about Lewis County, said there are big deer there. But, very hard to hunt.

7. hunting buddy

hunting buddy 12 pointer

Oct 23, 2010
    bg
    There is big deer all over the state, except where I hunt.
    Research the state and figure out what part interests you then look for help finding a place in that area or public land in that area.
    More then likely nobody on here is going to tell you exactly where to go.

8. BP1992

BP1992 Banned

Dec 31, 2010
    ^^This. There are some MONSTERS that are coming out of Eastern Ky. That part of the state is crawling with big bucks.

9. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky
    Eastern kentucky for sure,the further east the better it gets.

10. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    Surely you guys wouldn't send this fella to a zone 4 area, lol...that's just cruel. IMO, go all the way to the most northern reaches of eastern ky and hunt just across the big river.

11. Thunder Head

Thunder Head 8 pointer

You will find plenty of non-resident resentment around here.
    There are big deer killed all over Ky. I personally like the farm country best. Anywhere from bowling green west.
    Ive have not heard of an outfitter doing "trespass type hunts" in Ky. you might find one though. your best bet might be to get into a lease.

If you spend the time reading thru the pages of this forum, you find plenty of info.

12. Barryadams307

Barryadams307 Spike

Aug 25, 2013
    East ky they are all gone in the western part of the state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    If you want to spend your money wisely, this is your answer. More land, less a-holes ,better hunting . They will appreciate you spending money in there state . Ky will just use it to stock a commissioners pond or sew a food plot in one of thems field.

sent from the front deck

14. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

You might as well drive a few hours more to Ohio. They have real giants up there and you wont be harrassed by sheepsquatches up there.

15. the_spotdoctor

the_spotdoctor Fawn

Feb 5, 2014
    Wetumpka, Alabama.
    Thanks to everyone with some positive feedback. I have done a little research and I think a buddy and I are coming up in March and do a little looking around on some public land in West Ky. Heard good and bad about it. All I can do is try, between my buddy and I , he is a very good hunter, and I consider myself above average. I think we might can come up with a plan. I am the type I like to do it myself. One other question, are Atv's allowed on public wma's, I won't be using one but just wanted to know. Thanks.