Looking for Smallies

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by 4UK, Jun 21, 2015.

1. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    Im looking for spots to wade fish or john boat some catch and release smallmouth., trying to find acess spots to any places in east ky around paintsville/ pikeville ..or in VA at New River , or near Kingsport TN on Holston river.. Any information would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance.

2. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Holston river around Abingdon has some pigs. There are some boatramps. Can't recall the name of the roads.

3. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Big Sandy is actually a decent small mouth river..Rebel craw cranks use to burn them up along with a nice jig..There is a boat ramp in Pikeville and one in Prestonsburg.

4. P. Goldenbath

P. Goldenbath Fawn

Nov 1, 2014
    It's a decent river for smallies but there is a warning of e. coli and other bacteria in the river right now. I wouldn't risk it.

5. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    FYI--there's always E.coli and "other bacteria" in rivers. Always. Just don't drink the water. Ever.

6. P. Goldenbath

P. Goldenbath Fawn

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm just saying there are swimming advisories and warnings for fish trap lake and the big sandy right now. Too much poopy from Virginia to safely do anything.

7. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    And dont bite your fishing line.

8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    They just lifted the ecoli "do not swim" warning from the Big Sandy just so you guys know.

9. Steven Buckley

Steven Buckley 6 pointer

Apr 20, 2007
    Floyd County
    They have a HUGE SEWAGE leak in Grundy Virginia that has dumped millions of gallons of RAW sewage into the River. I wouldn't advise even wading it this year!

10. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    The Big Sandy river is and at least for the last 50 years that I know of, has always BEEN a sewer. Don't worry about the sewers dumping into it. Dilution is the solution to pollution. With all the rain we've been having the Grundy grunge is going by the mouth of the Ohio River by now. If you wait to fish that river when it is not polluted with e. coli you'll never fish it. Have at it. The Pike county part is lousy with smallmouth from what I hear. When I was a teenager 40 years ago the trees along the banks were coated with a thick coat of oil for the length of the river, in addition to being full of sewer and garbage of all kinds. Kids fished, boated and swam in it all the time. We caught and ate fish out of it regularly. Not that I recommend swimming in it or drinking the water, but I would have no hesitation about fishing any of it, including Grundy. Believe me, even with the sewer discharge, the Big Sandy has never been better in the last 50 years than it is now.

11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    It is actually better now than it has been.. I have a friend who works for the national geological survey and his job is river surveying..Last I looked the e.coli content in the river was well lower than an acceptable level..Not much different than many of the lakes around actually. Less trash on the river now than there use to be too..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  12. patiodadio

patiodadio 8 pointer

Mar 22, 2014
    A lot of the state park lakes are closed to swimming due to e.coli. Is this from goose poop ?

13. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Not sure how far you are willing to drive but I grew up in Knott County in a little community called Fisty. I fished Troublesome creek til I was in my early 20's. Haven't fished it much the past 8-10 years but I used to catch several nice smallies out of there. Lots of 12-14 inch fish with the occasional 16 or better.