Looking For Lab Puppy

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by kyfowler1, Jan 12, 2021.

1. kyfowler1

kyfowler1 Fawn

Dec 14, 2018
    Northern KY
    Hello All,

I'm looking at getting a new puppy in the near future, any recommendations for local-ish (KY/OH/IN) breeders would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Carolyn Elam has good pups. Not sure if Jimmy Rodgers is breeding or just training. I'm in the process of getting health clearances for my girls and will start breeding later this year.

She's not local, but Tierra Sloane (Riptide Retrievers in SC) gets my vote. We have three dogs from her kennel, all females out of Buster Brown. She usually has a different litter on the ground every couple of months. If you want quality and are good paying for it, Champion Retrievers in Louisiana has a hell of a dog in Gump. He's got 8 Grand passes among his titles, only chocolate out there like that.

I focus on brown dogs, so I'm not up on many other high quality kennels that breed yellows or blacks, other than what I've mentioned. You might PM Rob Dehaven on here - he's a pro trainer on KY and might know a few.

3. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I would like to find a female to breed my Lab to. This one is easy to teach and great with kids.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Are you looking for a field champion line or just a well bred registered line?

5. kyfowler1

kyfowler1 Fawn

Dec 14, 2018
    Northern KY
    I’m open to either field champion or just registered, hunting background, American.

My current dog is from a field champion line (they are no longer breeding form what I can tell), but I will not be doing any hunt/field test.

6. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    I have 2 females that will be coming into heat in late Feb early Mar and I plan to breed. Not sure on your timeline but I have some on here interested so I will be posting updates if things go as I hope.

web splitter and BootsOn27 like this.
  7. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Our club is having a test next month if you're interested. Finished is almost full.

8. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    I've got some buddies running down there. I'm transitioning to more field trials but will still run some hunt tests. I do have one that needs two more finished passes. I'll probably catch one closer to home.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Reach out to David Jarvis, 2709293597. He may have some lab pups this spring.

10. kyfowler1

kyfowler1 Fawn

Dec 14, 2018
    Northern KY
    Thank you all.

Rob, I will keep and eye out for your updates.