Looking for hunting and fishing friends

Jun 30, 2021
Hebron, KY
I'm in Boone county and looking to join, or even create, a hunting and fishing group, or locate a good mentor. I don't imagine too many hunt clubs have a website, so maybe that's all I need help finding. I don't have any issues driving to wherever I need to get. I live in a subdivision and none of my current friends are interested in hunting and fishing, so I've been a little stuck. I'm looking for some land, too, but I'm for sure stuck until I can find a piece.

I'm open to going anywhere, knocking on doors asking for permission to hunt on private property, using public lands, etc. I'm hoping to locate a group to join or hoping to find people in a situation similar to mine and we can start a group.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to making some new friends so I can spend a lot more time in the woods and on the water.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I'm in Boone county and looking to join, or even create, a hunting and fishing group, or locate a good mentor. I don't imagine too many hunt clubs have a website, so maybe that's all I need help finding. I don't have any issues driving to wherever I need to get. I live in a subdivision and none of my current friends are interested in hunting and fishing, so I've been a little stuck. I'm looking for some land, too, but I'm for sure stuck until I can find a piece.

I'm open to going anywhere, knocking on doors asking for permission to hunt on private property, using public lands, etc. I'm hoping to locate a group to join or hoping to find people in a situation similar to mine and we can start a group.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to making some new friends so I can spend a lot more time in the woods and on the water.
Do you have a boat?
If not, trout fishing is decent in our area at the fins lakes. Fishing a kayak will productive at Kincaid lake, AJ jolly, bullock pen, and boltz lake. The licking river can be good but can be dangerous depending on your age and experience.

Jun 30, 2021
Hebron, KY
Do you have a boat?
If not, trout fishing is decent in our area at the fins lakes. Fishing a kayak will productive at Kincaid lake, AJ jolly, bullock pen, and boltz lake. The licking river can be good but can be dangerous depending on your age and experience.

I don't have a boat, but I have started looking at kayaks. My one friend that does fish lives 1000 miles away and he's out on his quite a bit.

I just looked up those FINs lakes. That's amazing, I had no idea how many of those were out there. One of them is 2 minutes up the road from me, that's awesome. Thanks for the info!

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I don't have a boat, but I have started looking at kayaks. My one friend that does fish lives 1000 miles away and he's out on his quite a bit.

I just looked up those FINs lakes. That's amazing, I had no idea how many of those were out there. One of them is 2 minutes up the road from me, that's awesome. Thanks for the info!

Youll want to pay attention to the stocking dates for trout and go after a stocking, not before.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
How quickly are those restocks fished out? Do a lot of people know about these FINs lakes?
It’s not bad I caught fish a few months after they’ve been stocked. On nicer days it’ll be busy but bad weather keeps people away most the time this time of year. If you have any luck post up some hero pics please

ManofManyStangs

8 pointer
May 4, 2009

Put in for the Elk draw if you get unit 7 I will help you unless some of my family gets drawn for the same week. Won't cost you a penny, except the money for the draw.

Jun 30, 2021
Hebron, KY
What kind of hunting are you looking to get into?

I'm looking at everything. It looks like we've got something in season year-round in Kentucky. Seems like a shame not to be out in the woods and the fields as often as possible. I'll take the trophies if I can ever harvest one, but I'm most interested in getting out into Kentucky and coming home with something to throw on the smoker or in the pot. We are equal opportunity carnivores in this house. Squirrel and rabbit hunting look like a lot of fun. Carnivore put me on to the FINs lakes, so we shouldn't have any want for fish. I've been deer hunting several times but never had a shot on one I was satisfied to take. Fortunately, I have had friends of friends and friends of family share some deer down our way.

I want to do it all!

I will say -- duck has been my favorite meat for a long, long time, but I've always gone to the store to get it... I have no idea where to even go for duck. I've done several guided hunts for chukar and pheasant this year, had a blast, and that has been some good eating, too.

ManofManyStangs

8 pointer
May 4, 2009
Just seen this
fins.jpg

Jun 30, 2021
Hebron, KY

Yes! Carnivore shared that earlier. There are 8 of these lakes within 30 minutes of my house. Had no idea. That's something I can do by myself, or with the whole family, so we will be tearing up these lakes for sure! Until you find the right people to ask you just don't know about all this stuff. I'm really happy I finally decided to post and see what I don't know.

Jun 30, 2021
Hebron, KY
Any pointers for hunting on public lands, especially if I'm going by myself? I just found out about that, too. Apparently, there are tons of places all over Kentucky you can hunt that are open to the licensed public.

Latest posts