Looking for a place to hunt groundhogs in northern ky

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Kylongrifle32, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Kylongrifle32

Kylongrifle32 6 pointer

Jan 13, 2019
    Owen co.
    Looking for a place to hunt groundhog this spring and summer. I live in Owen county and work in Florence. When I was younger I hunted all over the tristate area. Back in the 80's and early 90's I would kill about 300 to 400 per year. Then places and groundhogs got harder and harder to find. Been after them since I bought my first rifle in 1981. I'm a veteran and been around firearms since I was 10 years old. Very safety driven and landowner respectfully. Looking to do most of my hunting from 50 to 200 yards and with a single shot handgun in rimfire and center-fire rounds. If you got some pastures or bean fields that need ridden of groundhog I'd like the opportunity to help you out. Thanks for considering. Mile

2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Plenty in Cynthiana. Come get them

3. I rarely see them anymore. Got one about four years ago. Seen a couple last year but they have become more scarce lately.

4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    This. They used to be thick. Not anymore.

5. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I will bet big money but there is a groundhog family in every dam barn we have in Harrison County

NOCAMST likes this.
  6. aaronc

aaronc 12 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I used to love to exterminate them myself. Spent many a great day doin just that.....nothing like your favorite varmint rifle/rig ;)

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

See one dead on the road from time to time but not near the numbers of years gone by. Used to have contest at the archery club for the most and largest over a weekend. We hunted them along a stream that ran thru farm country and took out a lot. For some reason they were not afraid of a boat, just sit there and get shot. Guys would put $10 in the pot entry fee and split it between the two classes.

8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    When I lived in Washington, Indiana, the farms there were loaded with Woodchucks. As a teenager, I use to hunt them all Summer long, with everything from a .22 Hornet to a .243 rifle. Been around 14 years since I've shot my last one, so now, living down here in Ky, I am shooting Coyotes with my .222 Rem. CZ 527 Rifle. Haven't missed one yet either, but kills only number a few per year.