Looking for a new gun

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by ManofManyStangs, Jan 7, 2020.

1. ManofManyStangs

ManofManyStangs 6 pointer

May 4, 2009
    Looking for a good long range gun for big game hunting (trying to go west) and maybe to hunt deer with in Kentucky.
    Currently have a Ruger 270 and 300 ultra mag. Don't care much for the 300 ultra mag.
    Hunting in KY I have multiple stands I can shoot 400-500 yards from, longest shot for a deer I have taken has been 314 yards. I did find a new place I can see for 1200 yards but would never take a shot that far.

Also looking for a new varmint rifle. Been leaning towards a 22-250, but my buddy at the gun store is advising me to just use an AR.

Recommendations are much appreciated!

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Whats wrong with the ultra mag? seems perfect for what you want to do. 200-215 gr bullets and the right scope with a turret made for your load and a muzzle break......nothing is going to out perform it down range.
    If your set on change but not better performance; 7 STW with 175, 190 gr bullets. 28 nosler with same bullets. 338 Lapua 250 gr. (Ouch).
    For varmints, i have a 22-250 but if i was in the market for a replacement i would look at the 6 creedmore, 6.5 creedmore, 6.5-300 weatherby, 6.5x284.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    ManofManyStangs likes this.
  3. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I have a TC venture varmit in 22. 250 that I love. I've busted beer bottles with it at close to 300 yards. 300 WSM or a 7mm would be my choice if I were buying a new deer rifle, grandson has an xbolt that is a tack driver in 300WSM shooting 150gr Win ballistic tips.

Dark Cloud and ManofManyStangs like this.
  4. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    7mm magnum or 7mm stw would be my pick but I can't imagine other than recoil not be liking the 300 rum!
    If you don't own a ar 15 get one, I like mine alot and never take my bolt guns anymore.
    The 224 valkie and 22 nosler seem to be big hits. I may have to try one but I love my 6x6.8 wildcat I can reload 55 gr bullets for coyotes and 95 sst for deer. It does it all really. But it's hard to beat a 223 as ammo is cheap and easy to get and it will do anything if you do your job.

5. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    300 is expensive to shoot and to be honest I can't keep it lined up. Not sure which scope I have I will have to look maybe the scoop.

6. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    I do get sore after a few shots.

7. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    What kind of good range can you get out of an AR?

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    How much do you actually shoot it to become expensive? In my case, any of my big mags don't get shot more than 10 times prior to going on a hunt (and i use a sissy pad at the range). Shoot again at camp, 2-3 times then hopefully not to many times at a critter = less than a box/year. Not because of cost but it's not fun to punch paper with 1-2 boxes of ammo. I want to make sure its dialed in and get a feel for the trigger.
    If you dont have a break, I'd suggest getting one, I use Vais on a few rifles. Less recoil, more noise. Most gun smiths should be able to thread the barrel. 90+ grains of powder will wake u up when pulling the trigger.
    Check your trigget weight, 2-2 1/2 is sweet. Helps accuracy. Check scope base and rings for tightness. Torque to manufacturers specs. Use blue thread locker on the base screws, again, a lot of recoil. I'll say this being a scope snob, but if you have a $250 chinese/japanese/Philippine made scope, that could also be your problem. Lastly, maybe your rifle just doesn't like the ammo you're putting through it. If factory ammo, try different loads (and that does get expensive).
    I have a AR 10 in 7mm08, accurate out to 400, my self imposed max target range.

9. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I would say that the advice mentioned above from 1wildcatfan is the best you will get. I’d say the man has been on more than one big game hunts it his life and doesn’t fool around with junk equipment (scope snob!!!!!) jk 1wildcatfan but You really got me wanting to save back a little money when cattle sell and get myself some “European glass” next year for Christmas.

Back to the subject. It has taken me several years but I finally realize importance of a good scope Since I never really rifle hunted that much in the past, but the best advice I have heard numerous times when people request suggestions for a long range rifle is keep the rifle you have and spend the money on a scope and I would say that might be your situation. You mentioned earlier you don’t even know what scope is on that gun and that tells me it’s probably nothing special. I came across this video a couple weeks ago and have never heard of this mercury tube implant. Seems like this 300 rum isn’t as bad

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    ManofManyStangs and 1wildcatfan like this.
  10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I have two mercury recoil reducing tubes in a 458 Lott. The difference is now it doesn't knock your teeth out, just loosens them. :) adds a pound or more to the rifle.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have no problem out to 400 yrds with a ar 15.

12. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    I haven't had the gun out of the safe in at least 6 years. Missed a big 10 point at 100 yards and haven't looked at it since.

I did buy a Burris Eliminator III just looking for a gun to mount it on.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    beauhunter41031 likes this.
  13. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    How about a browning X bolt in 7mmRM? If you’ve got Burris eliminator money you could probably pick up a Hells Canyon for it

14. ManofManyStangs

May 4, 2009
    I have been looking at them, do you have a personal experience with them?