Looking for a GOOD dehydrator. Any recomendations?

CRFoster68

8 pointer
Jan 7, 2009
Fort Thomas
I have an old one that I paid about $20 for about 15 years ago. It does an ok job, but I was wondering if any of the more pricey ones do a beter job? I am mainly looks to make jerkey and a little fruit. Also, any tips or tricks to dehydrating? Thanks for your input!

Sep 18, 2008
i have done habaneros and I am currently doing cayenne. both turned out fine. I crush them (food processor) for powder, or leave them whole for throwing into chili, etc.

never done jalapenos, only pickle or freeze those. I'm still using frozen jalapenos from 2007, to add to chili, put on pizze, etc.

Sep 18, 2008
I have an old one that I paid about $20 for about 15 years ago. It does an ok job, but I was wondering if any of the more pricey ones do a beter job? I am mainly looks to make jerkey and a little fruit. Also, any tips or tricks to dehydrating? Thanks for your input!

I have used both, the small round ones with the heating element on the bottom and the bigger/pricery untis with the heating element in the back with a blower. If you can/want to invest the money into a larger one (like the Excalibur 9 tray), i would highely recomend it. They dry even, and you don't have to rotate the trays like you should on the round units. The blower reduces dry time, etc. I think the difference is night and day.

killinmammals

12 pointer
Nov 6, 2005
In a VAN, DOWN BY THE RIVER!
I've heard Excalibur are the way to go too. I am still using my Ronco one but its about time to upgrade.

kissey...how do you go about freezing your jalapenos. I've never frozen them before but plan on trying it this year. Usually just pickle them, never have enough to last till next season anyway.

Sep 18, 2008
I've heard Excalibur are the way to go too. I am still using my Ronco one but its about time to upgrade.

kissey...how do you go about freezing your jalapenos. I've never frozen them before but plan on trying it this year. Usually just pickle them, never have enough to last till next season anyway.

I just wash and dry them, then put them in a freezer zip lock then into the frezzer. That's it.

Mepperson

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2005
Murray, KY
I just wash and dry them, then put them in a freezer zip lock then into the frezzer. That's it.

Yep, it works. I have a few gallon bags in the freezer now. I tried some poppers with them the other night and they were fantastic. They are even easier to deseed after being frozen because the pepper is more flexible.