Looking for .38 recommendations for a CCW for wife

Fat Tony

12 pointer
Oct 10, 2005
Anderson Twp & Goforth School
I got ya. Its not always easy. I looked for a long time for the perfect set up. Not sure one exists.

My wife could not rack the slide on a Glock 42 or 43. Could not pull the 10-12 lb triggers on the revolvers without being 2 feet off of the paper.

Perhaps look into the new Ruger LC9s. Cheap, thin, easy to rack and has a great trigger. Think it breaks at just under 6 lb. She likes hers. More importantly, she can hit center mass with it without struggling or flinching.

inchr48

10 pointer
May 14, 2013
NW Indiana
Autoloaders with tip-up barrels are an option for those with weak hand strength. Beretta Tomcat is one that comes to mind. Only a 32, but better than nothing.

rascaldog

6 pointer
Jan 28, 2008
Somerset KY
I bought my wife a Ruger LCR in 9mm. She loves it. Comes with 3 moon clips that serve as speed loaders. You can load it without the clips but have to eject the spent brass individually. Great gun, worth a look.

inchr48

10 pointer
May 14, 2013
NW Indiana
I bought my wife a Ruger LCR in 9mm. She loves it. Comes with 3 moon clips that serve as speed loaders. You can load it without the clips but have to eject the spent brass individually. Great gun, worth a look.

Wife has two LCR's. 22 mag has a terrible trigger, but the 327 Federal is smooth as silk. Both are great shooters, if you can overcome the 22 mag trigger.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
I've introduced women to shooting with a 4" k frame, a pussycat with 38 lead loads. Get them familiar and comfortable with the revolver and shooting in general, no so heavy they can't operate it, but heavy enough to soak up most of the recoil. For carry, I vote for the Taurus 85 ultralight, but only after they know what they're doing.

I've taught several women to shoot and their small hands and weak builds make many autos unsuitable for them. They just can't rack the slide. Anybody can operate a revolver, even when you're panicked and your fine motor control goes away.

stevenvalleyagain

10 pointer
Aug 15, 2005
Valley station
I think I found the gun I want to buy her but its a bit out of my price range. Ruger SP101 hammerless. In .357 it weighs 25 ounces compared to about 15 ounces for the LCR and most of the airweight. 38s. If I can manage to come up with money, Im thinking shooting .38s in it and the recoil shouldnt be so bad that she will hate shooting. I need to try to find a cheaper Taurus or Charter Arms thats hammerless and heavy but not sure they are even made.

Brsutton86

12 pointer
Sep 19, 2009
Harrodsburg, KY
I have a sp101. I carry it alot In Florida so I can keep one round of snake shot for rattlers. The gun is a tank! It's heavy but like I said a tank. Great gun you won't dissappointed. Mine does have a hammer. Shooting 38s has very little recoil. Don't buy a cheap gun, a good gun holds their value, just my .02 though.

Fat Tony

12 pointer
Oct 10, 2005
Anderson Twp & Goforth School
I think I found the gun I want to buy her but its a bit out of my price range. Ruger SP101 hammerless. In .357 it weighs 25 ounces compared to about 15 ounces for the LCR and most of the airweight. 38s. If I can manage to come up with money, Im thinking shooting .38s in it and the recoil shouldnt be so bad that she will hate shooting. I need to try to find a cheaper Taurus or Charter Arms thats hammerless and heavy but not sure they are even made.

I'm a big fan of 101s. Have one and a GP100, too. Like them both a bunch.

I'd never have myself let alone my wife carry one of the 101s without paying for a professional trigger job upgrade, though. Those are not easy triggers to shoot rapidly and accurately in double action. Long, very heavy, gritty pull. If you just want something that will go bang every time, its perfect. But there are cheaper options out there what will do the same. If its something she is going to be on the range a lot with even with .38 special rounds loaded, I'd look at other options.

Or get it and worst case scenario she doesn't like it and you keep shopping. How I came by a couple of guns until we found the right one for her.

Key is have her handle and shoot any weapon before buying Her hands will make the decision. What we think is perfect for the wives rarely is.

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
If you want a .38 and money is an issue, you might check out the Rock Island .38s. I see them on sale at places like Rural King very reasonable. They are a Colt revolver design, but made for budget minded folks. I've heard they are a pretty good gun for the price.

stevenvalleyagain

10 pointer
Aug 15, 2005
Valley station
If you want a .38 and money is an issue, you might check out the Rock Island .38s. I see them on sale at places like Rural King very reasonable. They are a Colt revolver design, but made for budget minded folks. I've heard they are a pretty good gun for the price.

Thanks rivertom, I will look into those. I had a rock island 1911 years ago that operated flawlessly. Didnt care for the solid unadjustable sights but it always went bang

Brsutton86

12 pointer
Sep 19, 2009
Harrodsburg, KY
I'm a big fan of 101s. Have one and a GP100, too. Like them both a bunch.

I'd never have myself let alone my wife carry one of the 101s without paying for a professional trigger job upgrade, though. Those are not easy triggers to shoot rapidly and accurately in double action. Long, very heavy, gritty pull.

A trigger polish goes along way on that gun. No plinker, but who wants a snubby for that.