Looking for .38 recommendations for a CCW for wife

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by stevenvalleyagain, Jun 13, 2016.

1. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Wife is somewhat recoil sensitive. My lightweight .40 is too snappy for her and she doesnt have strong enough hands to rack the slide on most autos. Looking to get her a decent revolver. Looked at a whole bunch of .38s and .357s the other day but didnt get to shoot any. Looks like the airweight models seem to be the cheapest. Lightweight might be good for not having to carry the extra weight. However, Im thinking the heavier models would likely greatly reduce felt recoil. Looking for a hammerless or shrouded model as I dont want a hammer hanging up in her purse if she needs to get it out in a hurry.
    Also, would I be better off getting a .357 and letting her practice with .38s and just fill it with .357s while she carries?
    Anybody have something they would recommend?

2. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    Not a revolver but the walther pk380 is very easy to rack. A buddy bought one for his wife because she has trouble with slides. She absolutely loves it.

3. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    I have a stainless j frame hammerless in 38, it is kinda a soft shooter but snubnoses take some practice to hit acurately, and I wouldnt get the airweight if recoil is the problem.
    I always thought one of those 30 round keltec 22 magnum pistols would be good for a gal that is recoils sensitive. Some better 22 mag self defense rounds out nowadays too.

4. chadwimc

chadwimc 12 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Earth
    S&W 642. A gal can find milder loads if recoil gets to be a real problem. My wife and my poor, old, gray hair mom both carry a 642.

5. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    In 38, the S&W Bodyguard. Laser built in, although you have to hit the button to turn it on. Accurate for a snubby, 1-2" groups at 25 feet. I tell my wife if she needs it, shoot right through her purse, it will go bang until you quit pulling the trigger.

Attached Files:

6. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    In 357, the Chiappa Rhino. Very reduced felt recoil due to the barrel aligning with bottom of cylinder.

Attached Files:

7. piebald buster

piebald buster 8 pointer

Nov 9, 2006
    Glasgow Ky.
    And accurate too. I would go with an exposed hammer or she could shoot it single action.

8. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I'm sure it's effective, but man, that is an ugly gun.

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Recoil sensitive? An Airweight in .357 will turn off most women to shooting. Heck, most guys, too. Its just not that enjoyable. Will easily develop a flinch and an aversion to target practice.

IMO, a revolver is not the way to go for a lady if she is not used to it. The trigger pull when new is going to feel over 12 lbs and feel like squeezing a brick.

My recommendation would be to look into a single stack .380 in striker fire. We had a single action Sig P238 and absolutely loved it but the single action was not the platform my wife wanted in her purse (lint and crud).

10. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

If it was orange I would swear that it shoots flares.

11. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    My main CCW is usually a Glock 26, but I sometimes carry a Taurus Model 85 Ultralight in 38 Special. I've had the Taurus for a long time, and have found it to be reliable, easy to carry, and for a snubbie, it shoots pretty good.

12. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    You ought to see my 6" 60DS White Rhino. It's beautiful (in a Rhino kind of way).

Seriously, if you get the chance to shoot one, you won't believe the change in muzzle flip. 38 loads barely move you off target.

13. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I need to check it out. That is a unique design and I like innovation.

14. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    Didnt intend for her to shoot a .357. And mentioned wanting to stay away from lightweight guns. Said was considering a .357 for her to practice with .38 rounds, carry with.357 rounds. Im sure if she ever has to use it, she wont notice recoil while trying to save her own life.
    Revolver is definitely the way to go as she isnt able to rack the slide on my bersa thunder .380. Its the absolute easiest auto I have ever seen to rack the slide and she has issues racking the slide on it. Thats the reason for wanting a .38. Most .357s are heavier frames, therefore having less felt recoil shooting.38s than shooting .38s out of a lightweights. 38.

15. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    I bought the wife a Ruger LCR in .38, she doesn't like target shooting with it because the recoil hurts her wrist. I bought a Rossi 357 with a 2" barrel that she used to take her ccw with, she likes shooting it with 38's but she doesn't like carrying it because of the weight. So she carries the LCR and practices with the Rossi.