Looking Advice on Farm Purchase

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Pirate, Jan 8, 2021.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Where do they get all their money? All of them got the same rich Uncle Jedidiah Yoder?

sorry first name that came to mind

DaveO likes this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I heard that they had their own banking and credit system.

bondhu and Feedman like this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I think the church controls their banking an credit system

barney likes this.
  4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Most likely.

Feedman likes this.
  5. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    Yes, they operate like the Indians that are taking over the quick marts and motels do....they bank among themselves.

Pirate and barney like this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    They use local banks around here for everyday stuff, but if they need something else I heard that they could get it.

7. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    Sure the land is cheap. And everyone around will hunt it each day you aren’t there. That is maybe the worst area you can go for trespassing. But, there can be some big deer killed there.

Trophyspike, Junglekat and Pirate like this.
  8. DaveO

DaveO 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I run 11 cameras year round. And only caught trespassers 4 times. None of them were hunting. I do have a pretty good neighbors though. Between the 3 of us, almost 1300 acres and over 50 cameras.

Pirate likes this.
  9. Stone Branch

Stone Branch 8 pointer

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    As mentioned, neighbors are key and my property is away from anyone. I have one trail on the edge of my property that some folks think is part of a public 4 wheeler trail system, which will change. A couple of times horse riders skirted a property line trail. I caught one old time ginsenger on foot who vowed never to return in exchange for not being prosecuted. I have yet to see any hunting trespassers.

G

DaveO and Pirate like this.
  10. kit caye

kit caye Fawn

Nov 23, 2004
    I just sold a piece of land 285 acres and bought a different piece 255 acres that I had my eye on for about 15 years, was closer to where I live and with better deer. I used a realtor who is also a bow hunter to sell the one and I negotiated with the land owner to buy the other. Realtor did a great job for me, I would recommend him to anyone. The buyer of the piece I sold was from Georgia and the realtor found someone local to TKO the land for him (food plots, maintenance etc.) The area I bought in is pretty much north central part of the state along the Ky river, it has hills no mountains. I paid more than I wanted to for it but I am still glad I bought it. 1 neighbor has a ROW thru my my land that he maintains to get to his home. I had a bad neighbor when I bought it but he has since sold and a great young couple bought it. They drive past my cabin every day and keep an eye on it. Land is remote and the drive runs right thru the middle of my place. I have discussed putting up a gate with them and they say they will help. They are great neighbors. I know most of my neighbors, we share trail cam pics and all are letting the deer grow up. 2000 I shot a 162" buck with a bow, I posted a pic of it and all neighbors congratulated me even though they also said that I had shot "their deer". Good neighbors make things better for everyone, I suggest you meet all of your neighbors, the first neighbor I had was never gong to be a good neighbor, he tried to treat my place like it was his, I talked to him about it but he was never going to be a good neighbor. The realtor was Jamie Rogers Full Potential Properties, I highly recommend him for hunting property.

mykizha and Pirate like this.
  11. kit caye

kit caye Fawn

Nov 23, 2004
    There is a piece of land down the road from me for sale I thing it is 70-80 acres. It would be on Gullion Branch road in Henry County. Access is a little rough.

Pirate likes this.
  12. rdmallory

rdmallory Fawn

Oct 22, 2009
    KY and FL
    Flat land that can be farmed or soil banked will be high. Good deer land need to be maintained with food crops and fire lane cut.
    Neither will be cheep. I would suggest min of 100 acres if you don't want to worry about your neighbors. Otherwise they will control your deer population
    for you.

It will be a lot of work with ice storms and wind taking down tree besides just keeping the trails clean of brush.

Doug

Pirate likes this.
  13. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    The 2 places I saw Sunday were both on Vance. Port royal is my old stomping ground. You a local or a transplant? If you are are a transplant I doubt I know of you.

14. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Hey D, he bought the Steinbruner farm. Well, the section off Gullions Branch. He's Keith''s brother from out on Cane Run at the switchback.

15. Duckwisperer

Duckwisperer 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2020
    Arkansas
    You mentioned only wanting to be 7/8 hours away. Where u coming from ?