Looking Advice on Farm Purchase

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Pirate, Jan 8, 2021.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I just purchased a new farm this year in south central. The thing about Amish as well is they kill everything. Or the ones in my area do. An I know several groups. When I look at land I want it to be atleast a couple miles from there land. Because they for real will put a hurt on the deer. Turkeys too but mainly deer. An I have found that even in my low cost area if you find a farm under 4k dollers a acre and you want it you better buy it. It took me 15 years to come across some land near my house and it never hit the market. I bought it straight from the land owner. So unless you want to pay realtor fees and etc it might be best to talk to the local land owners of the area you want to buy and see if they may want to sell etc. Could save you tens of thousands in the long run. An like others have said it will be hard to manage land if you dont live near by. 1. People will find out you arent there and they will trespass. 2. It will be hard to keep things mowed off and etc if your not there. If you insist on finding land and living out of state I would try to find a good local farmer who lives near by and pay or ask him to look over it and keep it mowed etc. Hope this helps some.
    An some counties in KY have free PVA websites and you can search the county maps an determine who owns what etc. Not all counties do but some do. Mine does. I can pick any farm in my county and it tells me who owns it and what they paid and when. I prolly shouldnt tell people these things but in todays world us hunters need to stick together. I could care less if your out of state or next door as long as you are good folks.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

3. 44mag

44mag 6 pointer

Sep 21, 2005
    N/A
    Short story.... some guys bought a farm close to we’re I live they was from florida and Iowa.....they bought a farm that locals hunted including a cousin of mine that went thru the property to hunt on another tract of land (this was all woods and logged woods) they had an old trailer at front of property for a hunting cabin... they was ok with my cousin goin Thru there property to get to a place were he always hunted not on there land and to help keep a eye on theres when they wasn’t around well they didn’t like it when he killed a good buck and they told him not to be on there property anymore and was pricks to a few others around the area.... I’m not condoning what was done but there trailer got burned they pretty much left the property 200+ acres without selling it just gave it up to bank.... moral of story if your out of state and can’t be around a lot make friends not enemies and to me you shall be find

Pirate and jblack1 like this.
  4. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    Speaking of that area. I was driving around Henry County this morning and saw 2 small tracts for sale. One 70 acres and one 65 acres. In a good area for deer. Got no idea what they are asking but, both had realtor signs.

Pirate likes this.
  5. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    They are in just about every county around here. Carroll, Owen, Henry, Shelby. I don't know much about Trimble but, I'm sure they are there as well.
    From what I've seen they'll buy anything that has some tillable land on it.

CentralKyHunter likes this.
  6. hoene

hoene 8 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    No Amish in my part of owen county.That I know of.

carnivore likes this.
  7. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Like BnB said, Henry, Carroll, Trimble, and yes, Owen. The Amish near me has deep pockets evidently. Buying for $5000+ an acre! Buying everything available. A person isn't going to pay that back farming in this area. Well, legal farming anyhow.

8. hoene

hoene 8 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    They can have mine for 5000 an acre.

xbokilla, Nock and barney like this.
  9. Bluegrass_Tactics

Bluegrass_Tactics Spike

Dec 3, 2020
    Montgomery
    Chipping in to third or fourth about the Amish killing everything. Even after my uncle told them I was hunting his farm this year as soon as they heard I killed a deer there they was back pounding down the door asking to hunt. They don't know how to take no for an answer.

10. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    Since this thread has already taken a detour, how the heck do they kill a deer? I am pretty strict about scent control and all and it can still be hard to trick a deer's nose. They are, well, the opposite of scent control.

BigBenny, barney, DaveO and 1 other person like this.
  11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Year around hunting. Spring, summer, fall, winter. Their theory is that it is gods land an the animals on it are to be taken.

barney and jblack1 like this.
  12. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    If you were at the Taylorsville Lake State Park hunt many years ago you'd know the answer to this.....if that were a gun hunt, they would have slaughtered the deer. Never seen such a drive !!!

Meatstick and Pirate like this.
  13. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    I guess they figure the rest of us can go to the grocery store.

14. DaveO

DaveO 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You can find land in Lewis, Greenup counties for $1000 an acre or less. Look up Isaac Singer Whitetail Properties. Good luck!

Pirate likes this.
  15. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    And they pay in cash...

barney likes this.