Looking Advice on Farm Purchase

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Pirate, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    Not a resident of Kentucky, gonna go ahead and throw that out there. I have spent quite a bit of time hunting in Kentucky, mostly in the southwestern section. I am looking to buy a farm at some point in the next year or three to split time with my permanent residence when I semi-retire. Would appreciate any advice you guys can give me regarding a county/area that would fit my needs.
    Here are some of my thoughts on the perfect property:
    1 - Obviously big deer, don't have to see 20 deer every sit but would like area with proven history. I know that a high percentage of big deer killed in Kentucky never get much press so you can't just go by what makes the hunting guide each year.
    2 - Not too rugged but don't mind some hills. I am an admitted flatlander, and some of Kentucky is definitely tough sledding. I was surprised at how hilly even the western part of the state was in places when I first went. I have not seen the terrain in some areas so not sure what to expect.
    3 - Geographic area - To keep the drive down to 7-8 hours, I would limit it to the central part of the state back to the east. I realize that area is more mountainous than the western part. North or south doesn't really matter. I know the eastern part of the state was hit with EHD a couple of years ago and not sure how they are recovering.
    4 - Neighbors - Certainly would like an area with good people. Kentuckians that I have met are usually a little wary until they get to know you, particularly if you ain't from around here. But mostly good folks from what I have seen. Kind of reminds me of the area that I live when I was growing up but those times are gone.
    Anyhow, sorry for the long post and look forward to replies.

2. kyduck1

kyduck1 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2012
    Your gonna get a lot of bitterness as an out of stater asking questions about buying land here IMO. I'll shoot you a few things to consider though.
    Unless you are around or have someone to watch your land it may be a huge PITA to try and manage that far away. Check out your neighbors and potential issues first.
    Next, there are big deer everywhere in the state and again a lot will depend on your neighbors. They gotta get some age on em before they get shot to be trophy caliber.
    Way too many variables to consider based off what you stated. If I were looking for an out of state piece I would start with a list of my priorities in order and start piecing something together. The last part of that puzzle would be finding the specific piece of land.

Pirate likes this.
  3. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Neighbors are the key ...... being out of state, you'll need to rely on your neighbors. If they are trash, you're doomed.
    As for terrain, central KY has hills......eastern KY has mountains. Sounds like you need to move far enough west to find the hills.

4. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    I understand and that is why I made that statement first, because I wanted to be honest about it. I certainly appreciate your comments.

5. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Whitetail properties is a good place to look. Dave skinner was on here I don’t think he checks in as often as he used to though.

skin_dog1 and Pirate like this.
  6. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    You are exactly right and that is what concerns me the most. Thanks for the info.

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I would suggest the area between florence ky and Louisville. Below gallatin county and above Louisville off 71, loaded with deer.

Pirate likes this.
  8. bah1286

bah1286 8 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I think Leslie County would meet all of your criteria.

Muzzy Moment, xbokilla and Pirate like this.
  9. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    Yea I think it is pretty flat there lol.

10. CentralKyHunter

CentralKyHunter 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2007
    Ky is still a great place to buy for hunting and investment. As a resident and outdoorsman I welcome all, but the quicker you buy the better deal your gonna get IMO, land goes up and gets harder to find every year

Pirate likes this.
  11. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    I appreciate your comments. I always hate to come home every time I go.

12. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I really don't need any new neighbors. Lol. If you're looking in this area you better have full pockets as the Amish have driven prices to the sky and that statement should tell ya who your neighbors are likely to be.

Timholt70 and Trapper Delk like this.
  13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    What counties are the amish buying land in? Tillable only or every dang thing?

14. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    My old lease had Amish neighbors so I know what that is like.

15. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    "Them damn Aimish came in and bought it right from under my nose. I'd been negotiating with the owner fer years.."

That seems to be the story here anyways.:)