Longest without a buck

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Dec 2, 2019.

1. buzzbaiter83

buzzbaiter83 10 pointer

I hit a 5 year gap when I was in my early 20s because I was trying to take a buck with a bow. Went through the Antler craze for a few years and killed a couple nice bucks. Started like hunting was a chore instead of fun so now I shoot whatever gets my blood pumping. If I snort wheeze and grunt a basket rack 6-8 point in, he’s had it.

Funny enough, I’ve killed my biggest 2 bucks since I quit horn hunting.

xbokilla, Ataulbe1 and kyhunter99 like this.
  2. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    5 years currently , 1 in the last 10 years , I like eating does and just have no interest in anything but a really good buck , plus I stink at deer hunting anymore

muddhunter likes this.
  3. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    I went 6 years. Law school, getting married, starting to practice, starting a family etc... I did hunt during that time, but didn't get a shot at anything that I wanted to take. I also used to be more of a horn hunter. Anymore I'm more of a meat hunter.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  4. hootowlman

hootowlman 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2007
    I’m Currently on year 5 of eating a buck tag. I’m seeing deer just not what I’m looking for. I’ve killed all kinds of deer. But now I’m looking for something for the wall. So it’s by choice.

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    1. I haven’t went more than one in my 27 yrs of hunting deer. That was my choice. I hold out for a few days than lower the boom on something. I like to harvest. Sometimes I get lucky with a goodun, sometimes I kill a 2 year old and I’m ok with that.

carnivore likes this.
  6. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Everyone has the right to shoot what they want. I just never understood why someone who has hunted for years and killed lotta bucks would kill a immature buck IF they could just kill a doe instead. If you need the meat And your limited on time and can’t get a opportunity at a doe then I could see that. The ONLY way to have a decent number of mature bucks in any area is to let them get old enough have larger racks. I understand kids or newer hunters killing whatever to get started but experienced hunters that puzzles me.

Brody, elmucho277 and littlebear like this.
  7. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Because I can and want to... simple as that

8. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Interesting. That’s cool. I wish little bucks still excited me, I guess. Not trying to shame just curious what motivates different hunters.

9. DaveO

DaveO 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Taken 5 so far this year . 3 Indiana -2 Kentucky... haven’t taken a buck on my farm in Ky for 3 years. You tend to get more picky when it’s your own piece of dirt

10. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    I have been fortunate enough to not eat any buck tags If I buy something with an expiration date I use it wether it’s fresh produce or a deer tag I gave up gun hunting all together about 5 years ago because I just personally never took any pride in a firearm harvest but I fully support those who do I go out every season looking for a 125 or better buck that’s my goal and most years I find one and put an arrow in him but in the late season if I still have a buck tag a nice 2.5 year old buck becomes a shooter for me and I refuse to apologize it’s my tag I paid for it I get to say what wears it I am happy for anyone who kills a deer that they take pride in wether it’s a spike or a world class buck personally for me a spike shot with a bow inside 20 yards is a much greater accomplishment than a buck of any size shot with a rifle as long as hunters stay with in the law and are proud of the buck they take you will hear nothing but congratulations from me I personally think the trophy hunter mentality is a detriment to the joy of hunting whitetail deer

xbokilla likes this.
  11. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I went 10 years once.

1) I made a bargain with Wife 1.0 such that I would only hunt a half-day a week. That was not enough, but I figured a deal was a deal. Later, she tried to renege, and that was one of the factors that lead to our divorce.
    2) I was forever losing hunting land. It was mostly just bad luck. I was frankly ready to throw in the towel when a friend died and I lost access to the last 50 acre plot I had. The next year, I found the 200 acre farm that I have now.
    3) A lot of the land I hunted in those years just did not have a lot of deer on it. Those places are crawling with deer now, but back then deer densities were low.
    4) I hunted in Ohio and back then you could not hunt on Sundays. When I finally got access to land in KY my luck improved.

12. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    I agree with this. When you spend the time and money on growing mature bucks on your own land you get a lot more picky. I’d say a lot of these hunters who shoot small bucks are on someone else’s land or even public land. Just different sides of the coin. I wish there was a way to encourage more hunters to harvest does vs small bucks.

DaveO likes this.
  13. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Why do you care so much what someone else shoots, and tongue in cheek condescend every chance you get? I know you said "different sides of the coin" to cover your ass, but you know as well as I do what you're getting at. I don't shoot small bucks either, but couldn't care less what someone else does with their tag.
    Just asking for your reason to belittle folks that legally use their buck tag as they see fit?

14. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Some truth to that. I get more picky on my land with does because ultimately does control the population. Shooting a buck cruising through that I've never seen won't affect anything. I've passed on both does and bucks this year, but when one walks past and I feel like shooting I do it with no regrets.

15. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Ha. First I’m not worried about covering my “ass”. Second I’m genuinely curious. Third. I guarantee you landowner hunters approach things different. Fourth your the one who likes to be controversial and stir the pot. Which is fine. To each their own. Fifth. No worries.