Longest shot I ever put on a bird.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by basshunter9239, Apr 15, 2018.

1. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Don't sweat him man. He gets pissy anytime anyone kills a bird. Congrats on your kill. No need to explain it to anyone. If it's legal it's good in my book.

basshunter9239 likes this.
  2. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    TSS shot is not going to help this issue, I've already read of some folk shooting up to 75 already and they are thinking nothing of it. Purposely trying to take em at great distances is as bad as the idiot from that show addicted to the outdoors setting a goal of 1000" of whitetail antler. As has been stated in the thread, we all err a bit on judging the distance in a crazy moment turkey hunting, but the art of the game is to get em in and kill em close.

3. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    When I started hunting turkeys 20 years or so ago, 40 yards was considered a long shot. However, there really wasn’t any what you’d call scientific evidence that 40 yards was the max range. That’s just what folks had decided max was.

The first bird I killed was at 45 yards with lead shot. He was pole axed. I stopped using 3.5” lead shot shortly after because of the recoil and patterns were better out of a 3” Hevi Shot out of my gun. I’ve killed a few birds out passed that 40 yard “max” range - some on purpose and others on accident.

Today’s turkey loads are effective out past 40 yards. I don’t think anyone can dispute that. Heavier than lead loads have stretched the distance.

I’ll continue to make every effort to keep my shots within the ethical killing distance of the shotgun setup I’m using.

Next year I’m changing to TSS (likely moving from 12 gauge to 20) because of the patterns and positive reviews I’ve heard from guys. For me the benefit of TSS is that if I happen to make a bad shot and the bird gets knocked down and runs off. I can still put enough pellets in him at 60+ yards to anchor him.

When I first started turkey hunting you always heard multiple stories every year of guys knocking turkeys down and then the bird flying away to die. Nowadays if you’re shooting a heavier than lead load you have a far greater chance of anchoring that bird if he’s wounded and moving out of max range.

Likewise, TSS is a great load for recoil-sensitive adults or kids. It gives you 12 gauge performance out of 20 gauge gun and greatly improves .410 bore performance passed 30 yards.

Heavier than lead loads have been around for over 20 years. They aren’t going anywhere. Likewise, there has always been folks that wanted to stretch the limit of their equipment wether it be firearms, motorcycles or automobiles. They key to success is to test your equipment in the scenarios you intent to use it to see if it meets your minimum standards.

4. basshunter9239

basshunter9239 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2009
    So today I tagged out on a gobbler at 10 yards. So all is right in the world!

RackedUP likes this.
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Longest that I ever killed one was 63 yards. I was up in the edge of the woods an he was in a pasture field. It was a steep hillside field. I just misjudge the distance. I was using a hevi shot shell. They had just come out. I haven't shot at one that far since.

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Glad it worked out for you. 92 blows my mind. Would have been funny had you missed at 10.

basshunter9239 likes this.
  7. T-wil69

T-wil69 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I’ve killed a few that I really need to range but they have to be close to 90, I use a older model 835 28 inch barrel with a kicks 640 and 3 1/2 shells, I’ve become really comfortable with longer shots because I know how my gun patterns l, I would never own a diff turkey gun, if you can reach out and getem then go for it, both my birds were under 20 this year but if they would have been 60 then most likely would have been the same outcome, you never know until you try

8. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    My longest shot was about 65 yards on a bird that stayed in strut but never came between me and the hen decoy. He never approached the decoy. After about 40 minutes of this i cut on mouth call and he stretched out his neck and put the red dot on the top of his head and the shot rolled him. The shell was Federal Heavyweight 3"magnum #6 shot.I walked it off 3 times and averaged it to 65 yards.

9. coveyrises

coveyrises Fawn

Oct 31, 2018
    Lexington
    I have made several 60 yard plus shots but ONLY with my Magnum Blends
    I would never try and shot at that length without a premium shell

10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I killed one years ago at 55 yards.

11. Shaine1985

Shaine1985 12 pointer

Jul 11, 2012
    your moms
    Hail Mary of a shot.

12. coveyrises

coveyrises Fawn

Oct 31, 2018
    Lexington
    57 yards with a 3" Magnum Blends

Carl likes this.
  13. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I think I've got most of you beat, although I did not mean it that way.

Back in 2016, I misjudged a bird and took a shot at 80+ yards. Details here:

Last Tag Filled Amid Mortal Combat

It was an honest mistake, and not one I'd want to repeat. I saw 3 gobs coming right for me. I got my scoped shotgun up when they all went behind a tree, and when the first gob showed up, I shot. What I didn't realize was that he'd run out into the pasture in the interim.

Bottom line: It knocked him over, but he got up and ran. I chased after him, and finally got him knocked down in the back corner of the pasture, but he wasn't dead and I slipped on wet grass and stones and fell trying to get my hands on him. Once I was off my feet, the match-up was fairly even. It took quite a bit of effort to subdue the gobbler. For a while there, it was unclear who was going to win.

14. coveyrises

coveyrises Fawn

Oct 31, 2018
    Lexington
    That is a long shot Shaman. I would try one out to 65-70 with the Magnum Blend
    shells

15. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

As I said, it wasn't intentional. However, it gives you an idea of how effective the old lead #4 loads can be.

I've been hunting through a scope for over 20 years now. My old eyes just can't pick up the bead anymore. Misjudging distance becomes much more of a problem with a scope. You lose your reference, especially when the bird is surrounded by pasture. I had a similar thing happen about a decade ago. The results were even worse. The gobbler just stood there looking back at me for the briefest moment with that awful soul-scortching scorn that turkeys are so good at communicating, before taking off for the next ridge.

My advice to fellow hunters who hunt with a scope is to keep both eyes open whenever possible. Don't get locked down on the scope so that you lose situational awareness. The sad thing is that the other two gobblers, coming down the track were less than 20 yards out when I shot. I