Long-Term Forecast

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shaman, Sep 16, 2021.

1. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

The weather is on your side. I can only think of a few times in my career having to deal with rain on Opening Morning, and few more where rain moved in later in the day.

Twice since 1990, there have been roaring thunderstorms. The last one in 2006 was a doozy. I knew the rain and wind were going to be there. I rigged for it. I was up a tree when it hit. It was all cool until the lightning started. By then, the tree was swaying too much to attempt to get down. I stayed up until 1000 and then came out, just as the front blew through-- dropped the temp 20-some degrees.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  2. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

The question of how often it actually rains on The Rifle Opener popped into my head. I cranked some numbers. In the past 41 years, it has:
    Rained in the Morning of the Opener 5 times (1 year in 8)
    Rained in the Afternoon of the Opener 5 times (1 year in 8)
    Rained some time during legal hunting 7 times (1 year in 6)

This comes from historical data collected at Greater Cincinnati Airport. I'm sure there are different numbers for other locations, but this gives you an idea.

The last time it rained on The Opener was 2006.
    The rainiest openers were in 1992 to 1996 it rained 4 out of 5. I was out in all of them.

It's been 14 years since it rained on the Opener; we're overdue. However, it's still a 1 in 8 shot every year.
    If you were to exclude 92-96 from the figuring, then it's only rained 1 in every 12 Openers.

Feedman and HeadedWest like this.
  3. hunt

hunt 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    Do you have any data for Muhlenberg for flood rains on opener in 1991?

I have an old Polaroid, that I didn't date, of a buck I killed opening morning in either 91 or 92, but I was thinking 91.

It was killed with a $69 dollar SKS, y'all remember those days when you could get them for that price out of the shipping crates and they were absolutely covered in cosmoline, and it may or may not have had a 30 round mag in it, I can't remember, and hopefully the Statute of Limitations have ran out by now if it did....

I do remember that we got a lot of meat outta him and his rack is still in my garage, a dandy 100" 8 pt.

I miss those simpler times.

4. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I'll do better than that. I'll show you how to do it.

Go here: https://www.wunderground.com

Navigate to the station closest to you and then hit the History tab. They've got data going waaaaaay back. If you have trouble finding a station, just enter the zip code in the search bar.

When I went to re-constitute the camp's deer log, I was missing data for a good decade prior. I'd lost it in the divorce. I knew the approximate date. That site's data allowed me to refresh a close facsimile to what I had.

hunt likes this.
  5. hunt

hunt 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
  6. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Is that one of those new Yogurt companys?

7. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Thank you very much

8. Michigander

Michigander 6 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff