Lodging and leases

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by bigbonner, Oct 13, 2019.

1. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    What do you stay in while hunting and how good would it need to be?
    Old cabin
    Camper
    Tent
    Lease lodge

Outhouse outside ok??

I have access to a small old Winnie Minnie RV and it is in kind of rough shape but ????
    I have seen some good campers fairly cheap.

Thomas Roberts likes this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I just returned from a tent camp. No running water so baby wipes was the closest thing to a shower. Had a hole dug for a crapper.
    Running water would be a luxury no matter what your staying in.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Thomas Roberts and Ataulbe1 like this.
  3. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Tents, barns, cabins, campers, backs of trucks, etc. We've had all of the above as deer camps. They were all great.

cedar ridge and Thomas Roberts like this.
  4. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Same here....I've slept in the back of a Tahoe. I've stayed in a tent. I've also stayed in some local motels for a couple of nights when it has been cold or rainy. Some of my most memorable - and best - deer camps were spent in an old canvas cabin tent I've had for almost 50 years.

I bought a Leer topper for my pick-up earlier this year. I may try it out this fall.

barney and 1wildcatfan like this.
  5. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I stayed in a tent on KY Lake for woodie season... I'll pass, slept like dammit! Spent a night or two in a pickup topper and those were pretty rough... I sleep quite well in the back seat of my crew cab when I stay in a campground in Florida but I have a fan blowing on me also...

Cheap hotels?? I think we are banned from some place down in Texas after we cleaned guns in the room after a couple days flopping around in the sandy mud on a snow goose hunt...

We were woke up at about 1:30 am down at Reelfoot by some sort of wild fornicating!!!! Not sure if they were filming or not but it sounded like serious talent was involved!! We were so impressed we considered skipping the hunt just to get a look at all involved!

Another Reelfoot trip was fairly warm and they had plastic(Noisy stiff plastic) on the mattresses and every time someone turned over it woke everyone else up... Made for a long night!

Other times at Reelfoot and in Arkansas, the dogs were allowed in the rooms and we actually slept quite well!

Another Arkansas trip had us sharing a mobile home with an old farm hand with drinking and moaning issues.......

Southpaw, 1wildcatfan, bondhu and 4 others like this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Heat, water, electric, and a crude kitchen is a good idea. A place to wash up or shower is nice too.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'm 56 years old. I've never experienced deer camp.... Have hunted deer since I was 12, but we always hunted near home, and just never had a camp experience... I've experienced elk camp 2012-2018, and loved every minute of it.

8. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I enjoyed reading this :D

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  9. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Went to Robertson county with my brothers and some of their friends when I was maybe 14 years old . We stayed in a small camper and it was filled with us all in there . It looked like one of those hillbilly pictures where the beds was stacked with people sleeping. It was heck to get up and go take a pea.
    Most miserable days I ever had and was so glad when I got home.
    Do you think a 24ft camper would do for say 3 to 4 hunters?

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    When I was a kid, we camped 6 in a 18 foot camper. lol. 24 footer is a hotel.....

11. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Id say so, make sure there’s no water damage/mold and is leak free.
    Did you get a group of hunters locked in for this season?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  12. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Not yet I am thinking that providing lodging may help???

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  13. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    24 footer is big enough. Just everyone will have to clean after there selves.

14. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    We usually motel it or cabin it when we put in for the quota Hunt's or stay in the cabins at the state parks and a discount price. Man I wish I had a pop up camper anyone have one for sale

15. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    We’ve used tents, pop up campers, stayed in hunting cabins and used cheap hotels and setup camp in an enclosed trailer. I built a small hunting cabin about 15yrs ago on one of my farms. Going out west on diy hunts is tent camping mostly. Have stayed in cabins a few times and also stayed in my enclosed trailer several times. Enclosed trailer works great. Put cabinets in it and set cots up inside . It’s a nice setup.

Brody and 1wildcatfan like this.