Lock UP your LAND

billproxs

12 pointer
Nov 1, 2009
KENTUCKY LAKE
Cool Article.

IMO, the reason Kentucky has good hunting/ fishing is because KY has so many natural resources. The KDFWR has a lot of quality land and water to work with here in Kentucky.

east_ky_hunter

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2010
East Ky
But we have telecheck, so hows it possible to win such an award?:rolleyes:

Most of the heard was already established by the time telecheck began.

What is the point in me checking in a deer once I get home. I can go kill a bigger one. Or better yet if I don't I'll just check it in during the last ml season. I think this year I will coyote hunt with my 30-06 from October through dec. If I kill one with antlers in early oct I will keep it in the freezer until ml season. All I have to do is wait and check it in at the next convenient time. Oh and by the way I'm being honest. No ish.

BadDuck

12 pointer
Aug 13, 2007
Bullitt County
Most of the heard was already established by the time telecheck began.

What is the point in me checking in a deer once I get home. I can go kill a bigger one. Or better yet if I don't I'll just check it in during the last ml season. I think this year I will coyote hunt with my 30-06 from October through dec. If I kill one with antlers in early oct I will keep it in the freezer until ml season. All I have to do is wait and check it in at the next convenient time. Oh and by the way I'm being honest. No ish.

Dont get pulled over on the way home....You know there are a few CO's on here right???? Oh and by the way, I am being honest.

east_ky_hunter

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2010
East Ky
Dont get pulled over on the way home....You know there are a few CO's on here right???? Oh and by the way, I am being honest.

Gonna keep a pen in my pocket for that. Heck you dont even have to put a tag on them any more. Take about three sec to scribble on that tag. Ridiculous. Yup I know I'll even give them my name. I wouldn't want them to have to subpeona the site or my isp too much work.

Or better yet buy youR tag online and print off one of those logs. Fill it out and throw it away when you get home. Pathetic.

My point is look at how easy the system is to get around. I know the old check in system wasnt perfect but look how easy I have pointed out it can be to fool. I would say that up to 35 percent of deer are never checked in. It needs to change. I know it cost more but I get tired of this happening every year.

It wouldn't bother me so bad, but when you work and scout all dang year. Then all of a sudden you stop getting pic of a shooter buck about the end of sept. Then it comes up after ml season your neighbor killed it during ml season and has it in the freezer waiting for the money to have it mounted. Kind of fishy don't you think.

Oh and coyotes should only be able to be killed during deer season, by legal deer hunters. Out of deer season. Open game. I can sit in my tree stand from sept through mid jan with my CROSSBOW or RIFlE in one hand, grunt call in the other and hunt coyotes.

Signed.
Jason Banks

Last edited:

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
Gonna keep a pen in my pocket. Heck you dont even have to put a tag on them any more. Take about three sec to scribble on that tag. Ridiculous. Yup I know I'll even give them my name. I would want them to have to subpeona the site or my isp too much work.

My point is look at how easy the system is to get around. I know the old check in system wasnt perfe, ct but look how easy I have pointed out it can be to fool. I would say that up to 35 percent of deer are never checked in. It needs to change. I know it cost more but I get tired of this happening every year.

I see where you are coming from, but think about it. Even with check stations, one could put the adhesive tag on in a certain way that it can be removed. Trust me someone will and has figured it out. If stopped by a CO, that person would be legal at the time, but would have no intent on checking in the deer. That person could simply tell the CO that they are transporting the deer 10 counties away to any old check station. If the CO checks it in at the stop, well for that person, just a small loss at almost winning, nothing more or less, but if no stop was involved, unchecked deer. Now think of all the folks that hunt, skin, and buture at home; what an inconvnience that would be during the check in days. They could get away with murder, hum, I mean poaching very easy as long as a friend or neighbor kept their lips shut. Now, with so many counties having at least a 4 deer limit, why do this when they can just call in and sleep well at night.

I am like many on here, I miss the nostalgia of the check stations, for they were once part of the whole deer hunting package. Maybe check stations will be alive and well again along with tele-check, having something like a quick punch digital tele-check booth at certain hot spots stations in high kill counties with bad cell phone reception areas, where we can tele-check our deer in or something as an alternative to just making a call.

east_ky_hunter

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2010
East Ky
I see where you are coming from, but think about it. Even with check stations, one could put the adhesive tag on in a certain way that it can be removed. Trust me someone will and has figured it out. If stopped by a CO, that person would be legal at the time, but would have no intent on checking in the deer. That person could simply tell the CO that they are transporting the deer 10 counties away to any old check station. If the CO checks it in at the stop, well for that person, just a small loss at almost winning, nothing more or less, but if no stop was involved, unchecked deer. Now think of all the folks that hunt, skin, and buture at home; what an inconvnience that would be during the check in days. They could get away with murder, hum, I mean poaching very easy as long as a friend or neighbor kept their lips shut. Now, with so many counties having at least a 4 deer limit, why do this when they can just call in and sleep well at night.

I am like many on here, I miss the nostalgia of the check stations, for they were once part of the whole deer hunting package. Maybe check stations will be alive and well again along with tele-check, having something like a quick punch digital tele-check booth at certain hot spots stations in high kill counties with bad cell phone reception areas, where we can tele-check our deer in or something as an alternative to just making a call.

I actually liked the tag which you had to cut out the date and place it on the deer. I know you had to remember tape or a string but it is no worse than remembering a dang pen.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
My point is look at how easy the system is to get around. I know the old check in system wasnt perfect but look how easy I have pointed out it can be to fool. I would say that up to 35 percent of deer are never checked in. It needs to change. I know it cost more but I get tired of this happening every year.

I guess I have a question or two..... first... How many years did you hunt under the old check station method ??

Second...... as all the things you described wrong..or way to cheat with telecheck... How does it differ with a check station???

The reason I ask .... I started deer hunting in the late 70's...and everything you described is basically the same way "some" cheated the check station system. There were all kinds of ways to manipulate a metal tag / sticky tag so it could be used again just to get it home. All tag did was visual verification if you were stopped....and unless you were stupid enough to drive around with a tail gate down drawing attention...chances were there was no reason to be stopped anyway. You basically had 24 hours after the harvest to check it in.... so having the paper portion stamped or not did'nt make you illegal even if stopped. All you had to do was say you were going to do that...headed that way...and how could a CO prove otherwise at that moment.

Then.... if you killed the animal close to the house ,at the property you live on or whatever.... who was standing there to make you take it to a check station. What kept anyone from processing the deer...saving your tag to hunt another day. Which with my experience... and especially on a Sunday... you had to drive & hunt hard for an open check station. Even had a few times had to take off work Monday morning just to check a deer in. Also just to remind you.... the deer had to be checked in whole. Sometimes trying to keep a deer cool on a warm October night was a challenge...all for the sake og getting it checked in. Recon anyone ever had a deer spoil in the name of being legal??

Inturn.... you had the whole check station / mom & pop groceries ordeal....where it's not telling how many harvest logs were lost. KDF&WR had no more of an accurate account of how many deer was harvested then. It would be weeks...even months before CO's could gather each stations harvest logs...which if anything...it's more accurate today with telecheck. Even had happen on more than one occasion ...they never even looked at the animal I was checking in..because only one there and they could'nt leave the cash register. Could have told them it was a doe when it was a buck ...never knew the difference.

Bottom line is ....no system is fool proof & there will be cheats with any system.

Either one was / is ..setup for the honest ...law abiding sportsmen. Nothing will ever change that...and frankly....the old check station system was a pain in the rear...period. There was as many to cheat that system as it is telecheck.

east_ky_hunter

10 pointer
Aug 29, 2010
East Ky
I started deerhunting in 1990 I was young then. I don't remember how long check in stations were around. You make a good point but surely there has to be a better system than the current one.

Last edited:

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
My point was that with all the things people claim to be wrong with deer hunting in KY--telecheck, gun season during the rut, crossbows, one buck, lack of antler restrictions, etc, something is working. Either that, or things are getting so bad in other states, that Ky is just the less of all the evils.

For years, people have been on here claiming that Ky needs to change this or that because look at all the B&C bucks killed in other states and not Ky. There have been complaints on how the Dept doesn't know how to manage the deer herd. And now, the status of the deer herd is being recognized.

billproxs

12 pointer
Nov 1, 2009
KENTUCKY LAKE
Kentucky is good, and some local states are getting worse imo. The KDFWR simply have a lot more quality land and water to work with compared to some local states. Nearly 50% of Kentucky is covered by Forest, KY has over 300,000 acres of public Lakes, the Mississippi River, the Ohio River, and tons of small rivers, streams, and creeks.

Of course just because the QDMA is recognizing KY it really does not mean anything. IMO there are plenty of states that do just as good of a job managing their Deer herds as Kentucky does.

My point was that with all the things people claim to be wrong with deer hunting in KY--telecheck, gun season during the rut, crossbows, one buck, lack of antler restrictions, etc, something is working. Either that, or things are getting so bad in other states, that Ky is just the less of all the evils.

For years, people have been on here claiming that Ky needs to change this or that because look at all the B&C bucks killed in other states and not Ky. There have been complaints on how the Dept doesn't know how to manage the deer herd. And now, the status of the deer herd is being recognized.