"Live oak tree" from the south...........

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by 12 pointer, Feb 13, 2015.

1. My wife has wanted to buy one down south and plant it here. I know some of you fine people are actually educated in this field. Will it survive the winters here? Thanks.....

2. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Live Oaks normally grow in Southern Georgia & central part of Alabama but no further north. They are evergreen and they don't like our cold Winters here in Kentucky. A Willow Oak would be the best alternative.

3. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    I doubt they would thrive here. A number of years ago, while on a trip to the Smoky Mtns., I dug up some pine or fir trees (not sure which one it was, and planted them here at home. They did not live, and I tried very hard to keep them alive. Some species of plants require certain conditions, and simply will not live out of their "zone".

4. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    My dad worked in south Ga when I was a kid and successfully transplanted several pin oaks from down there here. They are now actually good sized trees, but being a different variety of oak I don't know if it would make a difference.

5. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Pin oaks are common in Kentucky, never seen a live oak. Probably a good reason for that.

6. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010
  7. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Isn't that how honey suckle, olives, carp, etc. got here???

8. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Surprising that some trees will not naturally live in some places but if they are carefully planted they will survive and do well. For example, bald cypress normally lives in swamps down south but if you plant one in a dry lawn in Ky. nearly anywhere they will grow like a weed and survive winters here with no problem. I have bamboo that is hardy to 0 degrees that has lived here great for 25 years.
    I have never seen a live oak in Ky but you may be able to plant one and have it survive, especially if you do your homework first to see what type soil and drainage they normally live in. My guess is they need sandy soil. No matter how hardy to cold damage , if they need well drained sand and you plant them in clay soil that ponds water--they're done.
    You can get a little extra cold protection by mulching heavily around the tree in winter, putting them in a spot that blocks wind, and keeping the tree moist. Sometimes plants that are killed by cold weather are actually dried out, not frozen. Even if you keep one alive, be ready for a long, long wait for it to look like something from Gone With The Wind. Your great great grand kids might see it....

9. EKYridgerunner

Sep 13, 2010
    Not really.

10. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    They might be like Magnolia trees. Most of them will do well for years and then be killed back by a had freezing spell. The next spring, it will start coming back up from the roots. I had a big one in my yard that did this s few times. It was huge, but the right spell of bad weather would kill all but the roots. They tend to do best next to large bodies of water where frost isn't as bad.

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    On the campus of Murray State and pretty much though out the Purchase area ... there's a bunch of Magnolia's. At MSU we've got some that's 24-30 " inches or better across the trunk. Just guessing but I'd say their 50 -75 or more years old. Which the college was started in 1922 and many of the big ones are around some of our oldest buildings. They grow fairly easy down here and never really heard of any issues except sometimes they don't fair very well in storms. Not as bad as a Bradford Pear but they will loose a lot of limbs easily.

But on that note.... we got a lot of Cypress as well. Some of the sloughs remind you more of something in Louisiana than Ky. Around Reelfoot .on the border on up toward Hickman or Ballard are good examples. But there's a few places in Graves & Calloway that's pretty swampy and quite a bit of Cypress on Ky lake.

I'd say up where 12 pointers at ... not that far from here... not a big difference in climate or weather in general. A live oak may be able to survive with a little babying. At least worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    Not true, all these mentioned are transplants from Asia, and very invasive. It took dolts wanting a fragrant bush in their yards to plant them and spread this crap (namely bush honeysuckle) You will notice it is more prevelant around cities, and not so much in the boonies, like eastern KY. This is due to birds spreading the seeds from backyard "pretty bushes". Bush honeysuckle is the bane of this country, my land is overtaken by it, and I battle it constantly, while my neighbors do nothing. So I will always have it due to bird/seed propagation.

13. EKYridgerunner

Sep 13, 2010
    Eastern Kentucky has a completely different soil composition than most the state. Yes, EKY has it's share of invasive plants, but it is not likely that bush honey suckle will be one of them. I have seen it in small areas with limestone soils but generally speaking it will not be an issue.

The invasive plants/animals that thrive here are established in a similar environment somewhere else. When they get transplanted to a similar environment without the natural competition/ pest, they become invasive.

A live oak is only going to survive if it's well taken care of in a suitable "micro-climate". Thus, it is not really comparable to the other invasive plants were transplanted from Asia.