Little different trapping

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Nock, Mar 21, 2020.

1. WETWADERS

WETWADERS 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    W of Ashland, E of Murray
    What a day in the bee yard! Boxed up two more swarms. Finished combines of two swarms to old hives. And coolest of all, watched one definite usurpation and pretty sure I had another before I got out there. I thought I was losing a huge swarm, and then realized they were flying TOWARD an existing hive. Took about 10 minutes for the entire swarm to completely enter the box. Saw the evicted queen in the grass tonight getting balled. I'm tired of chasing bees.

Nock likes this.
  2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Damn son you been busy. Had one in a trap today. And picked up a small cluster outside of the trap. Probably bunch virgins.

3. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    I made 3 splits in March, two have new queens, other didn't make it. Have two strong production hives that I should get a good amount of honey from barring a weather disaster. Locust, tulip poplar and clover are all strong right now. With the cold weather coming this week it will put a damper on foraging.

No swarms yet..... Only have two traps out though

4. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    You going to buy a Queen or give them a frame from another hive? That frost we had did a number on the poplar here. Some of them flowered.

5. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Caught one more in a trap. Took a peek in top of box. Looked small. I won’t be in no hurry moving them.