Lineman’s rope

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by woodsman92, Jun 29, 2020.

1. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Who uses a lineman’s rope for climbing up and hanging sticks? Been looking into getting one. Been looking at the muddy lineman’s rope but reading mixed reviews about poor knots and being too short.
    I’m not confident enough to make my own as I suck at tying knots. Any of y’all have a commercial brand one you use and like?

2. Fanattic78

Fanattic78 Spike

Dec 19, 2017
    Western Ky
  3. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Jack Ryan, mykizha and EdLongshanks like this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I just hunt ladder stands right now but still use a lifeline. Great product plus I use HSS and they have a little reflective pattern. Can see with small headlamp from 100 yds away. Caught on sale and with points and gift cards, probably don’t have $100 in 6 of them. Whether you buy or make them, don’t go cheap with the calipers. Make sure they are for climbing and hold the weight. Some calipers are junk.

Meatstick likes this.
  5. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    I just started using one this year, wish I had started sooner. It makes hanging stands so much easier and safer. I believe it is made by tree spider and it is seatbelt material with a carabiner on each end which hooks to your harness (provided it has loops on each hip for them). It adjusts easily with a buckle as you go up and down the tree. Believe I bought it for about $25 on eBay

6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I use a strap system from muddy I rectal but I definitely switching to the ol meatsticks method because the muddy strap system sucks in my estimation

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m a climber and always have been. Back in my framing days, I’m lucky to have only fallen once. It’s sucked but no significant and life altering ramification. I’m older now and have lost half the balls I used to have. I’d say I’m still ahead of the curve but significantly more cautious. I always use a lineman’s belt but I’m going to start using life lines on regularly used stands and also up the quality of equipment I use. No reason not to.

xbokilla likes this.
  8. countryboy3006

countryboy3006 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern KY
    I have life lines on my fixed stands and use a lineman’s rope when hanging stands. I got the HSS Hanger harness that I wear when hanging stands and use the lineman’s rope that came with it. It works pretty good but I haven’t used many different ones to compare it to.

xbokilla likes this.
  9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I’ve helped a buddy of mine put up a few hangers and he’ll use his lineman’s belt until he gets the lineman’s rope installed. Pretty safe/good method.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

Haven’t had my climber out in a few years (need to) but I went for years on a climber just strapping in once I was settled. Never used anything going up or down. I look back now and think, “What was I thinking?!” Then again, no one in my crew used a climber. My dad did many moons ago but heck those old school guys didn’t care about anything when it came to safety. No one showed me a lineman’s belt or how to climb with it etc... Agree Ed, with the equipment available now, no reason not to use what’s available.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  11. mykizha

mykizha 6 pointer

Aug 19, 2018
    Hamilton
    Jack Ryan and Meatstick like this.
  12. PUBLIC RAT

PUBLIC RAT 6 pointer

Feb 18, 2014
    Lineman's rope is a must use for me cause I like to get up a tree or down in the dark. Whether it's a climber or just tree steps its always there giving me confidence that I'm safe. Lineman's belt comes in handy when setting steps and treestand. To be able to stand on steps and use both hands to set more steps or tree stand is a no brainer. Did the tree hugger method years ago but no more. Get to know your equipment and how to adjust quickly as you go up or down, you won't be sorry unless you don't use it.

13. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
  14. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Pretty much, but I don't spend as much on rope as he does lol. The most important part is the lock. I use the same exact one.

15. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Yeah I was gonna buy the 45 dollar lock but was trying to decide on what rope.