Lettuce beds

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Munson, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Anyone do it? We haven't for years. Also considered carrots. Any tips & tricks? I know we gotta burn off a spot for lettuce beds.

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    While looking at the bed area to be sown, I pour the seeds into the palm of my hand and visualize them about 3" OC. Once I'm satisfied with the amount of seeds in my hand, I mix them thoroughly in an appropriate amount of dry sand to help distribute them evenly. I think one of most important things to do is covering the bed with agricultural fabric.

Carrots are super easy if you don't care to use Preen herbicide. Carrots are unaffected by the active ingredient trifluralin, and will grow like weeds while the actual weeds are controlled! Just make a shallow row, take your time and dribble the carrot seeds about a 1/2" or so apart, then lightly cover them. Sprinkle the Preen down the row according to the directions.

3. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Thanks for info Barney. I planned to cover the beds as well.
    How about soil prep on carrots? Seems the last time they didn't resemble a carrot at all lol. Soil mixed with rotten sawdust to loosen it maybe?

barney and drakeshooter like this.
  4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Burnt mine off about 2 weeks ago and sowed last Saturday. Snap peas are out to.

barney likes this.
  5. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I dont grow enough lettuce to fool with. I enjoy a few fesh messes of it..and thats about it. But..i cant sow it out evenly to save my life..same with turnip seed

drakeshooter likes this.
  6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Im going to put one out. BUT cant get the ground dry enough to work a bed. About the time it is about ready. It rains again.

barney likes this.
  7. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Man,I can see it now. That big glass bowl full of wilted lettuce. The wife and me catch each other double dipping a big tong full in the grease.

barney likes this.
  8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I like variety in my lettuce. I love oak leaf, red sails, and one of my most favorite is Lollo rossa.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Gonna try to burn ours off tonight & hope to plant this weekend even if we have to use hoes & rakes!

barney likes this.
  10. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    6F2562C2-F9F4-4218-88DF-C3DFCEE90B7D.jpeg Going to get some Bibb, mesclun mix, and radish seed in the ground this evening.

bondhu and barney like this.
  11. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I always till mine up good and make sure to go deep. And plenty of loamy soil and compost. First year I did carrots they looked like radishes with fingers lol

Munson and barney like this.
  12. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I do the same. Sometimes nematodes are an issue that make carrots do that. I've had really good success with the older variety called Red Cored Chantenay in my heavier soil.

13. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    I'll give a lil tip for anybody that just likes a small amount of lettuce like myself..something i have tried in the past and had luck with.
    Get a bag of potting soil...cut a few slits length wise down the bag and fold the edges back in. Sow your seed down the slit and bam..a mini lettuce bed. Doesnt grow alot..but will make a few good messes. Then when its done..pour the bag out wherever you need/want it.

Gforcetrivers, bondhu and barney like this.