Letting Gobblers walk

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by hiddentimber08, Apr 18, 2016.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I rarely weigh them... Heaviest confirmed weight I've ever had was 42.4. :) He had a 2" beard and 4" spurs.

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I "let" what appeared to be 2- maybe two year old birds walk last Saturday evening.

I had slipped down a steep ridge on a an old logging road that leads to a field near one side of our place. About half way down you can see the field... and luck had it there was a strutter and what appeared to be two other toms and several hens.

I just dropped down by a tree and honestly was a good setup for the birds I was looking at. Which I knew I couldn't call the strutter but my intention was maybe one of the other toms would slip away. Which didn't have any opportunity to set a decoy... but just let go with a few soft yelps on a mouth call.

I'm watching .... but no luck... they ain't even remotely acting interested. Then all of sudden I heard a deep cluck behind me... I just froze. Which I want to reiterate they were behind and too my right.... absolutely no way to turn around without the busting me. So.... I just let them walk. Their beards ... maybe 6-8"... young birds.

I've had those circumstances several times over the 30+ years of turkey hunting where I just couldn't get on a bird because the way I set up.... it happens.

But that's the only time I will let an adult tom walk... LOL. I'd been happy to have seen one of these flop if I could.

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

3. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee

I've had that sort of thing happen several times over the years as well. It's just another facet of turkey hunting and why I love it so much. I rarely use a blind so one's set up in the woods has a whole lot to do with whether a bird does a flop or not. In hindsight I can always figure out where I should have set up. LOL

4. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    My buddy killed a "boss" bird, don't know how old he was he weighed 26 lbs and his beard had gray in it, no joke. We refer to him as the old grandpa tom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

5. sheperd

sheperd 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2003
    Bardstown, Ky
    Every turkey I've killed weighed 30 lbs by the time I got to the truck. Somehow they all lost weight and were between 16 and 23 when they got to the scale. If it ain't a jake it's getting shot.

I killed my first one because of the sport. The rest are all revenge killings.

6. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    :highly_amused:

7. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    LMAO! Good one!

8. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    When I was a teen I had the fortune of being able to hunt on some old school farmer owned properties that were abundance of wild turkey. That was before everybody hunted turkeys and they weren't killed out as hard as modern times. I remember seeing gobblers that looked like whiskey barrels and had gobbles of distinguished them from other younger birds. It is hard to find hidden pockets of turkeys that are able to flourish for 5 years or so in my area. So that said those big Missouri transplants grew big in they ol knobs of ky. now here we are 25 years later with more hunters and fewer birds.all day spring hunting and fall shotgun and bow season tremdously decrease the chances for a bird to get big. I have no problem with anyone killing any size I don't care, they can get big if left alone try it and see if you got the ground to do so.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Please let a few walk my way this weekend. Been years since I've killed one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I don't know what part of the state you live in but 25 years ago there were far fewer turkeys than today in western Kentucky. I see birds every day all over the place , tougher to hunt ? Yes but not because of lack of birds. I hunt a place that didn't have a turkey 25 years ago and I saw 9 jakes the other day in one field, after two longbeards were shot in it opening day. In many of the places I've hunted in W.KY there are far too many hens

11. 257Wmag

257Wmag 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2015
    NC
    That's not letting them go, that's catch and release turkey hunting......been there, done that.