Let's Talk About the Elk Population

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by KentuckyOutdoorsMag, May 19, 2020.

1. hoene

hoene 8 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    I'm with RLWEBB on this one.

RLWEBB likes this.
  2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Pretty good segment. Hope it leads to something. They've got to address predation and poaching.

KentuckyOutdoorsMag likes this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Please post a link here to watch it when available.

4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Yeah that was worth the watch. I'll admit I wasnt familiar with Michael Abell and was a little skeptical. Seemed like he may have an axe to grind, but I didn't get that impression at all. He seemed well informed and brought up some good points. Thanks for sharing.

gdb and KentuckyOutdoorsMag like this.
  5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The elephant in the room is cow tag success, or lack thereof....

Winchester94 likes this.
  6. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    Here is the link to the Facebook video. If you have Facebook, we would appreciate it if you like our KY Outdoors Media page and share the video:
    Facebook Link

Feel free to post any questions or comments to the video. I'll get back to you ASAP.

Here is the link to the video on YouTube. Again, we would appreciate you sharing.
    YouTube Link

We always appreciate feedback - positive or negative. I hope to have at least one guest on per week for various outdoors topics. We'd love for you to join!

carnivore and gdb like this.
  7. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    Thanks for watching!

gdb likes this.
  8. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    Thanks for watching. I don't mind to take a bear or two for them. Ha!

gdb likes this.
  9. WVHUNTER1

WVHUNTER1 Fawn

Nov 9, 2016
    I enjoyed watching it and I agreed with much of it.
    I was surprised that no one knows how many elk there are in Kentucky, including game & fish, or at least I'm surprised they admitted they didn't know.

I had always been curious how many special non draw tags there were, that's a pretty good secret. They mentioned there were around 80. I believe in the intent of landowner tags. Of course the number of them issued could be debated. Without private landowners letting hunters on their property then DIY guys would have a lot fewer places to hunt.

Shooting fewer cows could be helpful but if you don't know how many elk you have then you don't know if you are exceeding the carrying capacity of the land.

They never mentioned relocation of elk within Kentucky. I think they have done some of that. Most of the elk in the elk zone are in four or five of the sixteen counties. They talked about deteriorating habitat. There has been some posts on this site in the past where hunters(including me) believe that as these reclaimed surface mines grow up then elk habitat will diminish.

Bears killing elk calves. Possible, they wreck havoc on the elk herd in Smokey Mountain National Park.

Hunter success percentage? That's always an interesting number but if all other things remain the same then hunter success shouldn't drop in half in three years. They mentioned low hunter success in many western states and overall those are correct. But a good private ranch in a Limited Entry Unit in Colorado, Wyoming or New Mexico can be 100% success and I know that because I have been there. So to issue less tags and have a higher success or issue more tags and have more opportunity is a public policy decision.

Just some thoughts, and I think the studies they are doing now are the most important things they have done since they introduced the elk.

KentuckyOutdoorsMag likes this.
  10. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    I really appreciate you watching. Thank you for the feedback. That was the purpose of the video.

I've reached out to two biologists about joining me next week. Both said they could not do it. One gave me the number of someone who could and the other said he would pass the word up to his supervisor. I think bringing an elk expert from the department on, whether they agree or disagree with what we had to say, would be great. We want varying perspectives.

Hopefully it will work out. Stay tuned!

11. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Good luck with whatever your doin,...Elk hunting isn't my thing but to each his own. I've read fairly lengthy threads about the subject here in the past though...long story short..in the end there are guys here that are really good at following the $$$,..I mean legit. More often than not the group as a whole never likes where the $$$ ends up either. Just my .02 and something for you to consider when posting for or against any cause or proposal here...have a good WKND ;)

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I feel the biologists are being instructed to not share the full extent if what they know. KDFWR is concerned about the revenue stream and their image. A legit concern but they need to concern themselves more with the long term than the short term.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  13. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    So one of my thoughts, everyone talks about the difficulties of the terrain the elk zone is in. My question is if the dept thinks the animals have "learned" and migrated to dark timber (which would not surprise me, I've seen em do that out west), how in the heck does the dept even think it has a clue on the elk numbers if they can't even find em? Do they still have any radio collared that they can say without a doubt that's what is going on?

14. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I believe that the dept has no clue how many there is. Even 10 yrs ago they had no idea.

15. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Yes, some are collared. Saw a couple during turkey season. And they certainly have adapted to staying in that timber.