Let's Talk About the Elk Population

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by KentuckyOutdoorsMag, May 19, 2020.

1. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    Hey guys! I am having retired Army Colonel and Vice-Chairman of the KY Chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Michael Abell, on my page tomorrow night to talk about the elk population. Michael has written a proposal to improve the elk herd and is connected and supported by various sportsmens' groups across the state, including Safari Club International - Kentuckiana Chapter and the League of Kentucky Sportsmen. I hope you'll join us tomorrow night! [​IMG]

gdb, KY Swamp Beagler and carnivore like this.
  2. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    To be clear, we are not affiliated with the Kentucky Dept of Fish and Wildlife Resources, nor do we claim to represent them. We are seeking to represent the perspectives of the thousands of sportsmen and women across Kentucky who have questions about the elk herd in our state. We believe our perspectives are important, regardless of what the department says.

gdb and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    What is the current elk population and what are the F&W goals for elk? IMO those facts need to be known before anyone offers proposals for improvement or changes in how the elk are managed. Hell, this site has its fair share of wannbe big game biologist that has the answers.

4. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    I'm working on getting one of the KDFWR biologists to join me next week to shed some light on the current numbers and steps moving forward.

Mr. Abell is more informed than the average sportsman. He was recommended by the KDFWR commission to Governor Bevin to be the next commissioner, which was what the audit called for - an outsider. Bevin chose to go with Storm, who was already inside the department. This isn't a knock on Storm. I don't know him. I just know that Abell is connected in not just clubs and activities throughout Kentucky, but also involved in legislation.

Join us and see what he has to say. If you have any questions or comments, we'd love to hear them.

gdb likes this.
  5. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    One issue that has been raised is that the department took 250 elk and relocated them to Bell County where they are opening Boone's Ridge in 2022, which is supposed to be an Appalachian Wildlife Center, which is not permissible to hunting. I'm from that part of the state, and I don't have high hopes for the center, although I hope it does well.

gdb likes this.
  6. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    Why do you keep referring to how well connected Mr. Abell is?

RLWEBB likes this.
  7. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    I only mentioned it in one post. But, most people have opinions on the elk herd. I just want to clarify that he is not just some Joe I pulled out of the woods to give his opinion. I think credibility is important. But, again, I only mentioned it once.

gdb likes this.
  8. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    You’re digging your heels in on this one, but you mentioned how well connected he was in all of the post you mentioned his name.

Here’s my question for tomorrow:

A lot of my buddies in EKy seem to think that the elk draw is rigged for people that know someone. They think the folks with good connections are getting preferential treatment...Was that ever true??!

9. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    You must have read some posts on Facebook where I've mentioned him joining me. Some people have questioned it, so I've probably dug in a little against that. Regardless, I think it's going to be a good conversation.

I think that is a valid question, and I don't know the answer. Some people think landowners get preferential treatment. I think the draw simply comes down to luck. Some people have said that there are families who get 3-4 tags per year in the public draw. I don't think that's happening. I'm not sure what Abell thinks, but we'll discuss it tomorrow.

I've reached out two elk biologists and asked them to join me next week, so they can make any clarifications that need to be made. Neither of them have responded, though. I hope they are able to do it.

gdb likes this.
  10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Very tough subject to try to tackle. Lots of strong opinions coming a bunch of different angles and people with hidden agendas. Guides, locals, in state hunters, OOS hunters, poachers, biologists, politicians, land owners, commission tags, a draw that many dont trust, “big money”, elk OOS export program, elk relocation to non hunting areas, local non elk hunters loosing access, bears, horses, mine operations, cattle, atv joy riders... Some of the most ignorant sounding questions comments and opinions are going to prove be valid and most of the more eloquent opinions are going to be complete horseshit. Good luck! LOL!
    Will you post it on youtube after the fact?

aaronc, gdb and KentuckyOutdoorsMag like this.
  11. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm just the moderator, and I'm going to let others ask questions and the guest speak. I'm trying to get the sportsmen's perspective, and I'm working on getting a biologist to join me, too. Should be fun! lol

I will post the link in here when we're finished. It'll take place on Facebook, but I'm going to edit it and put it on our podcast, which has not launched yet, and I can put it on our YouTube channel, too. Thanks for replying.

gdb and carnivore like this.
  12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The elk herd is a shadow of what it was 7-8 years ago. If there were 10,000 then, there are 4000 now. If there were 10,000 then there were easily 20,000 in 2009.

gdb and KentuckyOutdoorsMag like this.
  13. KentuckyOutdoorsMag

KentuckyOutdoorsMag Fawn

May 18, 2020
    Frankfort, KY
    Are you basing this one what you are seeing out in the elk zones? I'm not doubting you, I just want to know more.

gdb likes this.
  14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    In hindsight, the elk really were a blessing to the poor folk's of Eastern Kentucky.;)

Brody, aaronc, Munson and 2 others like this.
  15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've been going over since 2012. Other than last year, I've been there anywhere from 8-10 up to 15 days during season. I've seen the elk herd dwindle year after year. The harvest results are all the proof they need to see the elk herd is nowhere near what it was. Both quality, and quantity has dropped dramatically.

gdb likes this.