Let's get ready for next fall

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by ojibwa62, Jan 21, 2020.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    True , I've planted grain sorghum in strips on some farms in GA as a screen the deer eat the tops and it provides cover as well..

The sudan grass is a hybrid and a totally different plant then grain sorghum AKA Milo which only grows 4' to 5' ..

I don't want to plant a whole field just 15 to 20' wide strips.

Also toying with the idea of switch Grass which might be a better option plant and forget once it's established..

davers likes this.
  2. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    I have been planting whitetail institutes tall tine tubers the last two years and they have done really well and the deer have torn them up. My question is what could I plant with them to provide some extra grazing and attraction for a fall plot?

also this year I plan to plant whitetail institutes Power Plant in May for a summer / early fall plot

and in a new spot I look at planting oats or sun hemp but the ground In this area is under water during spring so I am worried about the soil as I won’t have much time to prep before planting

3. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    Here are my food plot plans for 2020:

I will be planting iron & clay peas in my current brassica plot this spring. I will go back to brassicas in the fall in that plot. I currently have annual rye growing in my sunflower plot from last summer. The deer are hammering the rye. I will plant more sunflowers this year in the plot, along with some prose millet.

I have another plot in which I will be frost seeding Ladino clover and chicory.

We shall see how it goes.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.