Let's get ready for next fall

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by ojibwa62, Jan 21, 2020.

1. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Too early?

Nope.

I'm already kicking around ideas for planting late summer and fall.

I know there will be much more Sunn hemp planted in rows for screen and cover , it did great this year and is one of the few things still standing.. I will also plant buckwheat early summer as a lay down crop to plant into in August..

The other thing to consider in addition to what you plant is stand locations and access to stands without spooking deer. You can plant the most beautiful plots in country but if you can't get to them without spooking deer they are useless.

Ben Allgood and Timholt70 like this.
  2. Ben Allgood

Ben Allgood Fawn

Jun 17, 2017
    Weed, KY
    Red Clover will be frost seeded before spring. Apple and pear seedlings will be planted in the spring. 2 haybale blinds will be installed this spring as well.

kyoutdoorsman, Timholt70 and ojibwa62 like this.
  3. Timholt70

Timholt70 6 pointer

Oct 25, 2019
    Christian county
    Getting plans together for spring plots.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Clover and Rye will be sown 2nd week February.

5. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    All my perennials will get a frost seed put to em to help thicken and stay ahead of weeds. Now that the garage is done, I'll have time to get my spring plots in, I typically focus them as soil building types of plantings.
    25% Spring Triticale
    25% Oats
    20% Spring Peas
    20% Buckwheat
    5% Crimson Clover
    5% Berseem Clover

Another focus will be on a plot that will last from planting til bout end of feb and that contains:
    20% Sunflowers
    20% soybeans
    20% Grain Sorghum
    20% Sunn Hemp
    20% Buckwheat
    It will act as screen as well as feed/bedding. Then it will provide late feed too.

I am going to solar fence some plots this year too starting in late june probably. I want to be able to provide more feed in late season and after season to help them carry over.

Gonna pull soil samples next week for tests.

Timholt70 likes this.
  6. cedar ridge

cedar ridge 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2015
    South Central KY
    Drahts,

Approx when do you try and plant each of these plantings?

7. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    The soil building planting will occur in late April or early May, if we get a super early spring I'll get it in before spring turkey hits. The screening/feed plot will go in mid to late may, soil has to be at 65 degrees for that one. The soil builder will be tilled in sometime in August when it looks like we will have some rain and fall plots will go in then. Hopefully it won't be as dry this year as last summer/fall. Plant and pray!

cedar ridge and Timholt70 like this.
  8. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    One of my main things this year will be a late season crop that will draw deer in Jan and Feb , the only green I have now is grain rye and as of yet the deer are not touching it much, it's a new planting in this area and don't think they recognize it as food yet.

I'll do some frost seeding here late winter, early summer plant buckwheat and around the end of August knock the buckwheat down and plant a mix of peas, beans and grain rye or TSC oats into it .

No plowing or tilling plowing will be done..

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    cedar ridge likes this.
  9. nat103

nat103 Spike

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky
    Where do you get sun hemp seed

10. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Last I bought I got from Hancock seed , do an online search there are other places.. I tried to find bit local and he looked at me like I had three heads.
    Then said..
    " We don't sell hemp"

I try and explain it's not hemp not even in the hemp family , it's actually a legume..

11. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    I’ve never planted Sunn Hemp, but I’m pretty sure I saw it at Bardstown Mills last year.

ojibwa62 and nat103 like this.
  12. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
  13. nat103

nat103 Spike

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky

Thanks! Lol that’s why I asked, I can imagine walking into the local feed and seed and asking for hemp

14. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I thought about it but corn is a fussy crop and is hard on the soil , also requires several sprayings and fertilizer.

I have watched a few vids lately on broadcasting it instead of drilling , but would still require plowing or tilling which I am getting away from..

I may plant some grain sorghum..

15. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

That sorghum Sudan grass is equally as hard on your soil. Yearly soil samples have showed us it depletes close to the same amount as a corn crop in a field. We had 20 acres last year for cattle feed we were bailing and wrapping wet. We just couldn’t stay on top of it trying to do everything else. It would often grow too fast and get to tall making it very difficult to bail and also losing most of its nutrition. That stuff like alfalfa. When it’s ready to cut you better be able to drop everything you’re doing. This year’s test samples provided around 4% protein dry matter which is no better than Straw. If it’s Cut after it’s two or 3 feet tall it’s worthless imo. I realize this is about feeding deer but figured I’d chime in and share our disappointment with sorghum.

I might plant 1/4 acre if I knew there were enough deer around to keep it nubbed Or felt like mowing it once a week

Or if you felt like planning a long strip it would definitely grow tall and create quite the field edge barrier

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    ojibwa62 likes this.