LEO's Trespassing

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ptbrauch, Nov 11, 2020.

1. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I know the game wardens can enter private property to investigate potential hunting violations, but can any other LEO's?

I got permission to hunt a farm from the landowner, but have been warned that his BIL, who lives next door to the entrance and apparently is a state police detective, might try to harass me. But I was thinking that since its not his land and he has no permission to be on it, there's really not much he could do, or at least not legally.

Trophyspike, barney and jblack1 like this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I'd stopped by and introduce myself and let him know you have permission to hunt and what type vehicle you drive cause you'll be passing by his house off and on. See where it goes.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  3. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    My guess would be, he can only be there if he is investigating a crime. He has to have probable cause or a warrant.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  4. ShellcrackerFishing

ShellcrackerFishing Spike

Nov 18, 2018
    Kuttawa Kentucky
    Uh, I think that's called being overzealous/abuse of powers on the state detective's end...Just one reason many people are not cop friendly!

GTbowhunter likes this.
  5. wv67

wv67 12 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    I’d do what wildcat said ,then their shouldn’t be a problem , and it gives ya a chance to see what he is like

6. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Smart!

7. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

How did the landowner suggest you handle it? Harassed as far as "hey what are you doing here?" or walking through banging drums to prevent you from killing deer?

I would definitely attempt to meet and exchange information but in full transparency if I saw trespassers (first assumption) on neighboring property you could accuse me of harassing because I would investigate.

Tethrd1982 likes this.
  8. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    He has no right to the land why even stop? Would you do that if I lived next door and trespassed on that land? Who cares what job he has? Sounds to me like he needs to stay off the property and quit committing crimes on it by trespassing. I can see stopping and telling him you have permission to be on the land and for him to stay off and if he comes on it and starts harassing you you will not tolerate it. This for some reason struck a nerve with me. I have law enforcement heavily in my family and I wouldn’t tolerate this type of behavior from them and sure wouldn’t from a trespassing neighbor.

RackedUP, BuckNest and Tankt like this.
  9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    You're getting defensive just going off hearsay, no facts.

GTbowhunter likes this.
  10. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.

Not his land and has no permission on it. So just because he is Law Enforcement don’t mean he can abuse his job and harass people not on his land.

Now to be honest is did not catch the BIL thing. That should not matter. But it normally does. My BIL is law enforcement. And he has tried to influence things. But he knows how I am and has saw it don’t work.

11. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    This is sure going south......

The State Police Detective HAS NOT done anything... The landowner has simply told the OP that he MIGHT try to harass him.... he did not specify as to why he MIGHT...

Also the original post does not state if the Detective actually has permission or not to be on the property... If he does not have permission, he has no right to be on the property... simple.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  12. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Payback....
    Motor your Impala across his lawn, that'll teach him...

Not many will get what I'm referring to, but some will.

OLD thread

NOCAMST likes this.
  13. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    OP did say he has no permission. I’m not getting in a pissin match. Like I said earlier it just struck a nerve with me. If it was bad enough to warn a new hunter about his harassment there has to be a history with him. Hope it’s nothing and he has a good season.

14. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    Agreed!