Legislative action on elk hunting

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by elkguy, Jan 12, 2013.

1. SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear 8 pointer

I also find it funny that a lot of these elk elite that "hunt" and kill every year are proud of their trophy bulls when the elk in that area are about as skittish as a herd of cattle.

2. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    Don't know about everywhere, but where we hunted they were nothing like a herd of cattle.

Have you hunted them, Just curious if your opinion was formed through personal experience.

3. stick'em

stick'em 6 pointer

Oct 4, 2011
    Scott County

I've hunted over 10 days in January alone and have yet to fill my archery cow elk tag. Please fill me in on where these elk you speak of live.

4. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Today, defeated creek area of letcher county, I had to blow the horn then still wait for a few minutes as a herd of about 10-12 cows stood in the road, for some reason, licking the road! I guess they wet after the salt that was put on the road.

5. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Just depends on the area. My job takes me out in the woods all over Eastern Ky. Sometimes they'll stand in the road like a bunch of cattle like BigPete said. Sometimes they scatter. I guess it depends on if they've been hunted/poached or not. The elk that hang around Chesapeakes office in Martin county, hell you could walk up and knock one in the head with a hammer. Theres a little road in Knott county by Carr fork lake, can't remember the route number but if you drive up through there at dawn you can usually spot a couple bedded down right in peoples front yards. On the other hand about two years ago I was on Martin County Coals property waiting on a dozer to get there to drag my rig in. I'd been sittin there with my pickup shut off for probably half an hour. Small herd with a good bull in came off the hill and out into the road about 40 yards in front of me. I was going to try to get some pics of the bull and when I popped my door open to step out they took off like a bullet. I watched them go at a dead run from the creek to the top of the ridge, stopped for a second and looked back at me then trotted on over the ridge. They didn't want anything to do with me, i'm guessing somebody had gave them a reason not to.

6. Highbow

Highbow Cyber-Hunter

Dec 16, 2001
    Johnson County, Ky.
    PREACH ON GROUSEGUY! When I was ask about this bill I said anything would be a improvement to what has taken place so far. I can't say that that it's any more of a political than certain individuals getting drawn along with their wife, and kid, or someone getting drawn each year and being guided by KDFWL employees in special restricted areas. If you play dirty , it usually comes back to bite you and it doesn't take a fifth grader to see how political the whole elk program has been from day one. Grouseguy, I feel just like you, I'm a working man and a sportsman that tried to get into helping improve my district only to get threats on my family and myself. I will see things change someday I hope but it won't be from something illegal or completely unethical.

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    They are majestic! Elk that is..

8. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Pitiful. . . .You and your family have probably gotten at least 20 elk tags since the elk program started, while Your AWF organization got 4 of the 10 Commish Bull Elk tags it's very first year in existence. Meanwhile, the vast, vast majority of sportsmen have virtually no shot of ever hunting elk. Hell, I was at the Commish meeting when you and Hensley succesfully lobbied to have the number of public tags reduced. You even tried to ban archery hunting for elk while your grandson was applying for archery tags.

You think you're entitled. You're not. In the end, Kentucky is in worse shape everytime its gov't bureaucrats engage in self-serving BS.

9. Matt Orr

Matt Orr 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    London, Ky
    Pitiful??? Are you referencing your basic math skills? 20? I know that being in the profession that you are in you are versed in the art of twisting the truth to suit your own argument, you've proved that time and time again on this forum. I've been drawn twice (1 cow and 1 bull) and my son with the archery cow. My dad bought my grandpa a tag a few years before he passed away (the one that he ended up using on his famous hunt after my grandpa fell and broke his collarbone while hunting) and then the Begleys gave my grandpa one the next yr out of respect. That makes 5 I believe... Then add the other 5 that my family in PA has bought the last couple yrs and there you go, 10 I believe. And before you say it, we have lined up dozens of landowner tags for guys that have contacted us. Some off of here, some through other contacts that just call because they knew we could point them in the right direction. I would like you to answer one question. Why do you think my dad does all the work he has done over the past 15+ yrs of working with the elk program and F&W??? All the money him and his buddies have made off of it?? All the free elk hunts?? And also, way back when, please elaborate on what happened and what my dad was doing that first caused him to come up as a blip on your buddies radar? And I wouldn't ask this if it didn't didn't come back around to the problems of mixing F&W issues with the state legislatures. I know you know the answers, but I would like to see you tap dance around them...

10. bowhunter08

bowhunter08 10 pointer

Dec 29, 2007
    Paris, Ky
    Been drawn twice huh? Well I will admit I am not good at math, but I am willing to bet that is two times more than 90% of the people in the state. You can say all you want about this tag, that tag or any other tag. You put yourself in someone elses shoes, like me who is your average hunter who has applied every year for a elk tag, and hasn't seen their name drawn, but the same ones keep appearing year after year. You can't tell me something dosen't smell fishy.

11. Matt Orr

Matt Orr 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    London, Ky
    I agree that I have been extremely lucky in the draw. I've put in every yr since the draw started. I hardly think that being drawn twice is considered showing up year after year. Someone posted on here stats of the number of people that have been drawn more than once at one time. There's alot more people than you think...

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have put in every year since it began and never gotten a sniff.I know 3 guys that have been drawn 4 or 5 times.DRAWN not bought extra tag chances.I think there at least be a 3 year rule.If you get a tag you should have to wait at least 3 years to do so again.
    I have seen here on post that some Elk tags have been bought by other people but other people filled that tag.Is that legal?Just asking because i dont know.I know you not suspose to use another persons Deer tag and take another Deer but we all know that happens.

13. ResidentCombo

ResidentCombo 6 pointer

Jan 14, 2006
    I also know guys that have been drawn multiple times. I think a 5 year skip should be in order for any hunter drawn for any Lottery tag.

14. Matt Orr

Matt Orr 8 pointer

Aug 23, 2006
    London, Ky
    I am totally for having to sit out if you get drawn and would be for it also if it is longer than 3 yrs. But with that being said, I'll apply every year probably till the day I die if there is a possibility of getting drawn. I love elk hunting, there's nothing like it. If I could afford it, I would buy a landowner tag every yr. But with 5 kids and a wife that would probably divorce me, that'll never happen...

15. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    how many guys and how many times have they been drawn? hearsay from a "reliable" source or have you touched and felt the tags??????? someone did post the number of multiple drawn hunters, i recall it being a minimal number of people, i'll see if i can find it.