Legal to bushhog?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by bmason, Oct 7, 2019.

1. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    We're going to be in a lease for a second year in Missouri. The field was rice last year and definitely a bust (like most places). This year water stayed on the field until July or so and the farmer took an insurance claim rather than planting crops (would have been beans this year). The field is grown up in the best moist soil unit I've seen with a BUNCH of volunteer rice. Can it be bush hogged to get some open water visible? Again this field was not planted this year. I'd like to assume its just like any other field and can be cut without violating baiting law.

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Good question. I guess call Missouri F&W see what they say. Here in Ky you would get 10 different answers from 10 different people from F&W.

3. Mossy Oak Boykins

Mossy Oak Boykins 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2019
    where my boykins take me
    my guess would be no to manipulating whats there, the way i understand here you can grow it , flood it but you cant intentionally manipulate which is considered baiting

4. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    you can manipulate natural vegetation if it wasnt planted should be fine but I would try to contact the CO for that area to be sure.

5. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    You can mow moist soil units so I don't see why volunteer rice would be any different. I hope you have a better year over there than we did last year. It was terrible.

6. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    If it is volonteer and was not planted this year 2019 then yes.

7. bbfky10ga

bbfky10ga Fawn

Jul 27, 2004
    my understanding of the law is if it is volunteer and not planted the current year then it can be manipulated. I have tons of Egyptian wheat that is voluntary but I'm leaving it standing for the doves and quail over the winter and it's right next to the pond

8. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    Could it get worse? We were outside of east prairie. I thought a moist soil unit could be cut, but I'll have to call the MDC to 100%.