Legal Distance from Bait

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by BigPete, Dec 9, 2018.

1. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    Or if I harvest a bear from my non baited property that is found to have "bait" in the gut pile will my neighbor be charged with feeding the bear that I had hoped to kill legally?????

2. danf26

danf26 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    game warden told me first hand that a bear home range is up to 30 miles for a male and if he found corn in the bear they was busted because the way he seen it. it was either on the way to the bait or coming from it.

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    So basically they don’t want anyone to shoot bears, or they want to generate some revenue by issuing citations. Duly noted.

aaronc, Brody, barney and 1 other person like this.
  4. danf26

danf26 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    you are one hundred percent correct

5. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I would be like Iceman..See ya in court.

6. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    My last Email I sent F&W was apparently forwarded to a Bear Biologist, he replied to my question last night. Here is his response:

“Jason,
    To further elaborate on the intent of the law of baiting, it is vague by intent. Distance an animal is from a baited area is somewhat irrelevant to the situation. For instance with your question, If you had a baited area (i.e. 10 lbs of corn in a single pile) 1760 yards out a ridge point that is surrounded 3 sides by a non-traversable cliff line and the bears were coming every day from a single entrance. Then hunting that entrance point could be viewed as hunting a baited area.

Also note that the bear doesn't have to consume bait either, and that scents are also illegal to use to hunt bears.

If you have a surrounding land owner that may have a deer feeder, and you have no knowledge of it in regards to your hunting efforts, then you wouldn't be considered hunting over a baited area.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Tristan Curry
    Wildlife Biologist
    Black Bear Program
    230 Main St. Benham, KY40807
    606-595-8333
    Visit our website at www.fw.ky.gov
    Visit bearwise.org for more information on living with bears”

I particularly like the part that states:

“In short, if you are hunting an area where you know a bear is even passing to bait is illegal to hunt.”

Wonder how many miles a Bear can travel a day???? I’m sure it’s a LOT!

My thoughts on KY Bear season as only been strengthened, if you Kill a Bear in East KY, it’s possible/probable under current regulations you’ll end up in Violation.

Now I REALLY, REALLY hate bear!!!

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Pete I take it ,unless somebody puts a feeder on your property, and you hunt and kill a bear, then your in violation.If nobody feeds on your property then your OK, if your neighbors feed and they can’t prove you knew about it ,you’re OK .If I wanted to kill a bear ,I’d make sure no bait was on my property, and not worry or ask what the neighbors do on theirs, if somebody said your neighbors got bait out,I’d say what neighbors,I don’t know my neighbors, let alone what they do on their property.

1wildcatfan, jblack1 and barney like this.
  8. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    I won’t lie to harvest a bear, my mother taught me better than that.

I know my neighbors bait.
    I know there are houses in these hollers that bear pass each day that has garbage out.
    One neighbor has cattle with Salt Blocks out for them, Bear Love Salt blocks.

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Based on what I've read in this thread, it would be very difficult to kill a bear that didn't have corn/trash in its belly......

jblack1 likes this.
  10. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    KY bear season in my opinion is a disaster.

To basically write regulations with the intent on being vague, hurt honest sportsman. Vague laws do not encourage new hunter involvement, it actually discourages new as well as seasoned hunters.

I’m not sure at this time what sportsman need to do to get rid of these “vague” regulations, but something certainly needs done!!

EdLongshanks, barney and Dark Cloud like this.
  11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Not enough revenue in yet

EdLongshanks and barney like this.
  12. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Agreed. That was a bullshit response. Pisses me off even without a dog in the fight

aaronc and barney like this.
  13. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    They dont want locals shooting bear. You know they are baited, and you dont bring in extra dollars. They want hunters from the outside to spend money and hunt bear they dont know are baited. They are thus legal and you are not.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  14. thunderstorm

thunderstorm 8 pointer

Dec 13, 2001
    First I've ever heard someone say that scent is illegal. It shows how this regulation is not enforceable (IMO). Since it is impossible to know how each individual officer or biologist views this law it is impossible to legally bear hunt here. It forces those of us who want to do it right to sit it out and watch the bear population explode. It may not be long before I give up deer hunting because of the bear.

EdLongshanks, jblack1 and barney like this.
  15. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    In a time when we want to encourage children to get out and hunt instead of having their heads in an electronic device, this purposely “vague” law hinders that considerably.

I’m fairly confident that I could present a chance for my 11 year old daughter to get a shot on our lease at a bear, but I can’t legally do that because I know bait in the form of Corn and Garbage exist within 10 square miles of my hunting lease.