Legal Distance from Bait

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by BigPete, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have to agree with Pete ,if they can call a garbage ben baiting, just because it’s not bear proof, they can call it what they want.I don’t got no problem with bears yet, but I don’t want to either.Even if it don’t stand up in court ,it’s going to cost you time and money to fight it.Sounds like today’s political politics don’t it.

barney and danf26 like this.
  2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I don't know if you got your answer or not, but I'd recommend that you contact the dept directly. They're pretty good at getting back to you when you email them. I think it's info@fw.ky.gov , but that's from memory. Don't quote me on that email being correct.

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Im suprised the locals havent killed every bear in ky given what ive been hearing about the situation.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  4. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    I’ve emailed them several times asking this question, even again today.

I’ve never gotten a response.

I want something in writing.

I honestly, truly believe KDFW wants to make Bear season as confusing as possibly to prevent people like myself from harvesting a bear.

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I think they want bears to promote eco tourism, to placate the hipsters, and to give the auto insurance industry a bone

danf26 likes this.
  6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Not just bear, same problem with fall turkey hunting, but they’re pushing the confusion harder with bears.It will be this way until the population ,gets big enough for the tourism , and out of state dollars, to start coming in, then you’ll see a big change in the rules.

danf26, BigPete and barney like this.
  7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Here is a good one. You can plant a field for Dove and Dove hunt it. But you cant Goose hunt in that field because it is baited. But you can plant Corn flood it and hunt Waterfowl there. Messed up aint it.

8. gettin bit

gettin bit Fawn

Jul 14, 2017
    Woodford Co.
    Crazy idea... don’t bait and you won’t have any problem. Regardless of what your friend is saying.

9. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Something sure is

barney likes this.
  10. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

Your wrong, 100% wrong.......Dead Damn Wrong!!

Scenario:

1) A bear hits my neighbors trash can off the hill from my lease.

2) Same bear walks up hill and I put a 325wsm 200gr hunk of lead in his heart.

3) Then the bear biologist comes inspects the gut pile.

4) I get talked to like a dog by bear biologist that still smells of baby powder.

5) I then have to go to court to hopefully get it thrown out.

Now, once again, how far away from the damn bait do I need to be to harvest a bear LEGALLY???

I’m sick and tired of bear, I’m quickly losing more and more respect for KDFW........

Brody, carnivore, Dark Cloud and 2 others like this.
  11. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Best advise I can give is call the information line Monday morning and see if Bo can help you find the needed writen law definition.

‭(800) 858-1549‬

12. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    .......or just shoot the bear and don’t tell anyone about it. Just saying

bondhu likes this.
  13. danf26

danf26 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2009
    southeastky
    they will not give you a specified distance. they leave it up to the officer to decide. that is where the problem is. pete is right some officers I have delt with are reasonable and some are very green and still wert behind the ears wanting to write everything they see. just like mine inspectors if you run into one wanting to move up the ladder, you are in for a ticket one way orthe other

14. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I always gut my animals in a deeper running creek, and throw the entrails deeper so the fish can eat......

15. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    Just got a answer from KDFW regarding legal distance from bait.

To no surprise, they still won’t answer my question directly.

“Jason,
    301 KAR 2:300.
    "Baited area" means an area where feed, grains, or other substances capable of luring black bears have been placed.
    Feeding Black Bears. A person shall not engage in any direct or indirect feeding of black bears.
    If we can help you with anything else, please let us know.
    Thanks,
    Tia Edwards
    Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources
    Information Center
    #1 Sportsman's Lane
    Frankfort, KY 40601
    1-800-858-1549

So I replied and asked my question another way:

That really doesn’t answer my question. I will ask another way:

1) Exactly how big is a “baited area” per the KDFW definition?

2) If I harvest a bear that has “bait” inside its stomach 250 yards from said “bait”, would I be in violation?

3) If I harvest a bear that has “bait” inside its stomach 500 yards from said “bait”, would I be in violation?

4) If I harvest a bear that has “bait” inside its stomach 1000 yards from said “bait”, would I be in violation?

5) If I harvest a bear that has “bait” inside its stomach 1760 yards from said “bait”, would I be in violation?

Point being, I don’t know where a bear may have been before I harvest it. Even if ZERO bait exists on my property, adjoining property owners could have bait out.

KAR 300 2:300 is extremely vague.