LED vs old black lights

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by rockhousehunter, Jun 27, 2020.

1. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 10 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    We used to use black lights, the longer ones to fish at night. I know they have the LED blacklight's now, I don't know how to hook those suckers up with the switch and all. I was wondering if a feller could find black lights nowadays that hook directly to the battery or if you were forced to buy an inverter and just plug in. Can someone tell me about an inverter and if they drain the battery, what size would I need, etc? I'm lost on this night fishing from the boat, not done it since I was a youngster. Thanks in advance.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  2. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    http://www.moonliteusa.com/
    The best out there as far as I'm concerned. They draw virtually nothing and have various hook ups to choose from.

rockhousehunter and Chilly like this.
  3. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I have one full moon light that plugs in to a cigarette lighter plug. I did not want to drill any holes in the boat so I went this route. The full moon is an awesome light!

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I have an old I believe Stan Sloan that has the alligator clips an hooks to the starting battery. My buddy go a new Phoenix boat a couple of years ago an has the black lights all around the boat. They are nice

drakeshooter likes this.
  5. Hard to beat a stan sloan super double.

Feedman likes this.
  6. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Alligator clips or they have a terminal that mak s it into a cigarette light adapter and then it had 2 alligator clips that hooks to the battery

7. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    That's me, don't want to start drilling holes in the boat. I'm looking at those Stan Sloan boats these boys are talking about now.

8. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

Hard to tell much from the pictures. This light fits in the palm of my hand. This has the UV lights and the green lights too. The green lights up the bank so you can see easily.

20200628_143909_resize_65.jpg 20200628_144004_resize_40.jpg 20200628_144557_resize_55.jpg

rockhousehunter and drakeshooter like this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    We have two Stan Sloans double. Black light on top, white on bottom. They plug into inserts on the side of the boat that are wired to the battery. Love these.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  10. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I don’t have a cigarette plug in on my boat just have 3 big batteries, a starter and 2 trolling batteries. How would a man wire this up? The Sloan sight has a wired and wireless, guess the wireless must be run on some sort of battery and aren’t as good?

11. rockhousehunter

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Chilly can a feller get some sort of adapter to go from the cig. lighter to the alligator clips or something? I have 3 big interstate batteries and no plugs or wires. Need help knowing how to wire those.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The wireless have two female inserts on the side of the boat that are wired to the battery. Just plug them in. There are two "studs" on the bottom of the light that plug into the inserts. Just mash the suction cups down for a solid hold. I'll take a couple pics next time we go.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  13. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    This is what I run. The moonlight may not draw much current but is very sensitive to low battery. Meaning if running aerators and other electronics, mine will shut off green lights. I have the full moon.

14. slobear

slobear 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2014
    Really not hard to add cigarette lighter receptacle. Personally I would go with the jacks like bgkyarcher is talking about. It eliminates the cord.

15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Wow that brings back memories. You were not a serious fisherman unless you had a Stan Sloan!

drakeshooter likes this.