Leases for war prices

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Jerod, Sep 26, 2011.

1. archeratarch

archeratarch Banned

May 15, 2011
    Hunting for bucks and the biggest and best has been passed down from the caveman, nothing new. Cavemen, Indians and anyone that hunts, always prefer the male of the species and bigger the better. It's always been that way, and it's not the fault of any scoring system. That's a really stupid assessment, as Redbone points out it's been here a lot longer than land leasing has.

As to leasing, it's still cheaper by far than owning land. Prices are up but so are wages and the cost of living. Land prices for purchase are up as well. Still there are plenty of place that are far less than $30 an acre as reported. I'd guess the average is still less than $10 an acre.

2. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    Really? Two guys that travel all over the US hunting Grouse trying to say it's not about sport hunting. That's the only reason any of us hunt, for sport. Surely you two aren't suggesting that thousand dollar trips to Wi is all about the meat?
    Slippery slope you guys are going down, since we all hunt for one reason, sport.

3. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    I don't know anyone that pays less than $10/acre unless they are leasing several thousand acres. KDFWR is paying $25 an acre for public hunting access to private dove fields for less than 2 months of hunting.

I like the challenge of hunting a big mature buck, I kill lot's of does, but I won't shoot a buck unless it's a "shooter" to me. It will have to have antlers that I want.

I love the "meat" hunters that always shoot the yearling buck that's chasing the doe... it's legal, but at least shoot the doe too, if you're in a zone that allows.... :)

Many people pay more for corn than they do leases annually, that's just crazy...

4. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

I see the kind of thing you are suggesting but it never has anything to do with the biggest buck. It is the guys who have to kill a buck period. The ones who pass up small bucks all year and then pile one up because the end of the season is near or their vacation is over. Truth is they can't go back to work with out having killed something. They can't handle the peer pressure. Those are insecure individuals. I have not killed a buck in 4 years because I want to kill a big buck with big antlers. Thats just what I want personally and I think it takes a more secure individual to acknowledge failure than to accept something less just for the sake of being successful in their friends and coworkers eyes.
    As far as lease prices go, there are still some in my area that I am aware of around that $10 mark even less and there are some in the $25 range as well.
    People can blame it on whatever makes them feel better but it boils down to landowners realizing that they have a commodity that is in high demand. And they are capitalizing on it. Just like any other commodity, the good ol supply and demand factor. There are so many things that cost substantially more today than 10 years ago. It cost more to go fishing,golfing, nascar races, sporting events etc. Just part of life. If you want to be immune from lease prices, buy.
    I am not saying it is anyone in this thread, but it kills me when guys complain about their lease going up to $1000 a year vs the $500 they paid last year all the while they are driving the new $50k truck pulling the $30k bass boat. It's all about priorities as far as I am concerned.

5. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Agreed you can only have so many hobbies, and hunting is mine. I rarely spend money on anything other than hunting. That being said, I have killed 7 or 8 net P&Y deer with only 3 on private land. The largest was on public land, and if I could have gotten drawn without a doe seeing me in 97' I would have killed a Booner on Higginson-Henry WMA. I've never had much issue with public land being overcrowded.

I don't lease, but do own some land. I bought it all by myself and when I was making very little salary. Consider it an investment, and it will be an easier pill to swallow. There are places to buy (steal) available, you just have to be prepared to strike when those deals come up. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is more gratifying than killing a deer or turkey on your own place, regardless of it's size.

Keep in mind, the number of non-hunters has probably remained the same over the years, but the number of properties that do not allow hunting has dramatically increased.

6. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    I must live in an area that does'nt lease too aweful much. I have never heard of it around here nor do I know any sportsmen that lease.As far as public hunting we have a ton of it around here in the form of the DBNF.There are places you can go and never see a vic or person during deer season, also places where they run over top of each other.One opening morning of modern gun season I counted nearly 200 shots fired in the first hour of daylight in and around the Clear Creek area.That morning the local check station(when you still had to check them) checked in either 5 or 8 deer as I recall.I don't have a clue what they are all shooting at or how they keep from shooting each other. It sounds like a firefight going on in there.Believe me, the locals shy away from those places the first few days of modern gun season.

I am so glad I do not have to pay for a lease to hunt the game I like to hunt.I hate the fact that there are those that do have to lease for a decent place to hunt.

7. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    3G, you don't understand

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. raktrakr

raktrakr Cyber-Hunter

Jan 20, 2002
    central ky
    You hit the nail right on the head with that statement, I know big bucks have always been the norm, but when the scoring really caught hold in the mid 90s its been downhill since, add on all the hype advertising and a few actually killing 200" bucks just fed the fire

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  9. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Jan 2, 2004
    Alvaton, KY, USA.
    Just read the first post so maybe this has already been covered. It seems historically there has been a mid nov Migration west in KY. Possibly the high fuel cost is making folks stay closer to home creating more competition for the available land... Just a guess.

10. archeratarch

archeratarch Banned

May 15, 2011
    Lease prices are higher because leases are few and far between. Supply and demand. Number one reason is that most folks do not have contact with friends or family with land that they can hunt for free. Those that do, have too many on the small farms of Ky. to allow quality hunting.

So, nobody leases land for grouse hunting....but they do buy some out of state as in GG case and it has nothing to do with B & C scores.

Joe, get away from your county, there are plenty of properties less than $10 an acre out there. Plenty less than $15. Few over $20

11. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    The in state guys are being outpriced by the out of state guys, at least from what I have seen on several occasions in this area.

12. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    All the more reason to go to a lottery for non-resident hunters.....that would in effect knock the out of state competition in the head. People that OWN acreage in the state should be allowed to purchase NR tags over the counter, after all they at least pay property taxes. By acreage I don't mean 2 acres, more like 20+ acres to be eligible.