Lead Weight Mold for Decoys?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Titus, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    Does anyone have a lead weight mold for decoys that I could borrow or rent? Or know of a good one to buy that can hold goose decoys in a little current?

Thanks

2. itallushrt

itallushrt Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Getting a blumpkin
    You can make one using a 2x4 and a router.

Just route an H in it or whatever shape you want.

or you can use an old muffin tin or for my longlines I use an empty beer can with the top cut off and fill it half way, place a stainless steel eyebolt with a nut and washer on for more bite. Use a piece of cut coathanger ran through the eye and laid across the top to keep it upright. For individual decoys you could do the same thing with pieces of cut wire. Done that before as well and it works great.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    I actually tried that last night and was going for the H style that slips over the heads for storage. Lets just say I need some more practice with the router, it got ugly:rolleyes:.

I may try the muffin pan deal. I already have some ingots made up from a muffin pan that I was going to melt for fishing weights.

4. itallushrt

itallushrt Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Getting a blumpkin
    Got any pieces of flat stock of aluminum? With homemade jig you can make one of out aluminum. The lead will release a lot easier from it.

5. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Make it heavier than you think you need. I took one of Mayes "H" weights to the local trade school and had a mold made. They were getting swept away on the river with old school Flambeau supermags. With wheel weights; they are probably in the 14 oz range.

I plan to have the mold made fatter to add weight.

6. itallushrt

itallushrt Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Getting a blumpkin
  7. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    Thanks for the ideas, I'll be back on the router tonight.

8. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Weights

We use the mini-muffin pan method. Get some insulated alluminum or copper wire. Cut the wire in approx. 10" lengths, and strip the insulation off of the ends. Bend the wire in half, and bend the ends either straight out or "u" shaped. Place the wires in the muffin pan, and pour in the melted lead. When you are finished, the coated wire should slip over the heads of most decoys(after wrapping line of course). The insulated wire, saves paint damage to the decoys.

9. gupsy2083

gupsy2083 Fawn

Oct 23, 2008
    Masonville, KY
    Where is the best place to get some good lead for smelting... I don't wanna use wheel weights they have to much dross...

10. goosehead76

goosehead76 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2008
    western ky.
    all you need to do is skim the dross off

11. quackwhacknstack

quackwhacknstack 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2009
    Simple question, I was looking into this also, where/how do you go about getting/melting this lead to make these weights out of?

12. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    I get lead wheel weights free at some tire stores, and have bought cleaner lead from junk yards (roofing vents, pipes). I use a turkey fryer burner and small cast iron pot dedicated to lead melting. Do some research before you just melt some lead, its dangerous.

13. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I ended up paying $35 for a rounded full 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights.

Salvage yard wanted 65 cents a pound with a minimum one ton purchase. You basically had to buy their whole box of lead; no picking thru.