lbl

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bobtownhunter, Sep 6, 2008.

1. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Area 9 = Turkey Bay ORVA

2. naturalelite

naturalelite 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2004
    NATTYVILLE
    Thanks man I could have used that last year. Although I didn't think there would be a bunch of people riding around the 4 wheeling trails with their rifles locked and loaded ready to shoot. I had figured for the traffic of ORV but the hunters doing the driving around was something I wasn't prepared for. It was a very bad judgment on my part. It wasn't safe that is why I won't ever put in for that area again. It was the first time I had ever gun hunted area 9 I should have stayed with one of the areas I was familiar with in the 20+ years I had been going over there. That is what you get when you put in with different people that want to try new things.

3. adam20_66

adam20_66 6 pointer

got drawn for area 7.

4. buckfever200+

buckfever200+ Fawn

Sep 3, 2007
    Gold City
    Thanks Wildcat for the info about the backcountry permit.Is area 1 mostly mature hardwoods or is it a mixed variety of pines and thickets with creek bottooms too.Have you hunted it at all should have been my first question?
    Thanks

5. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    It's hardwoods with a lot of open grass fields. Those are old homesteads, old farms. You will see some foundations as well as some old dumps.

It has thickets and some creek bottoms. It does have a few crops in certain places.

I've hunted LBL since 1964 and it takes 20 minutes from my front door to Area 1. :)

I've hunted there quite a bit over the years.

6. buckfever200+

buckfever200+ Fawn

Sep 3, 2007
    Gold City
    Wow, I bet you know that area like the back of your hand huh? I noticed all the cemeteries what are they from the civil war? Maybe I can talk you into showing me around the area a couple of days before the hunt.A couple of my friends may come up there just too camp out and maybe do some fishing since neither of them hunt.

7. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Those cemteries are the people that used to live inside LBL before the govt took it over.

The owner of TnDeer is taking his son to that same area for the youth hunt and I'll be helping them scout soon.

I'll PM you tonight or tomorrow.

8. bcdh1

bcdh1 12 pointer

Feb 1, 2006
    Me and my group got Area 6. Never hunted this one before, but first choice as the better bucks we have seen have come out of it. We will be hunting the 31 of october and 1st of November. Hope to get over there Sunday and find my tree. We have hunted area 5 twice and I killed a decent 10 in area 1 two years ago.

9. big300mag

big300mag 6 pointer

Feb 10, 2007
    Corbin, KY
    My 11 yr. old daughter got her permit for the youth hunt yesterday. I'm pumped!! This will be her first year trying to take a deer herself and she is very excited. Man, I'm as excited about this hunt as any I've gone on for myself.

10. 30pointbuck

30pointbuck Spike

Oct 11, 2004
    glasgow ky
    # per area

Does anyone know how many people are drawed to hunt each area at LBL ?

11. bcdh1

bcdh1 12 pointer

Feb 1, 2006
    Went and scouted and found some good areas. Hopefully I might get back thereone weekend a little closer to the hunt and fins some pre rut activity to narrow my choices down a little.