LBL Quota 2016

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by smashdn, Mar 18, 2016.

1. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Who else got drawed?

2. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    I'm in on the 12th and 13th!

3. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I didn't get drawn this year. I am very bummed about it. I had a GREAT hunt last year, and was really pumped to go this year.

4. SKFOOTER

SKFOOTER 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    HARDEMAN COUNTY, TN
    I drew the weekend hunt on the Tennessee side.

5. SKFOOTER

SKFOOTER 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    HARDEMAN COUNTY, TN
    I drew the weekend hunt on the Tennessee portion.

6. WKYHNTR

WKYHNTR 8 pointer

Oct 17, 2004
    Muhlenberg
    First time I have never been drawn. Looks like I'll be knocking on doors that week in TN.

7. model70

model70 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    Is a hunter safety card required to hunt lbl quota Turkey hunt now? Am 45 years old and have never had to have it before. Went to camp Currie years ago and got one, but it was always if you were born before 1975 you were not required to have it. What I'm trying to say is , I don't have a clue where my card is. Thanks

8. Owensboro Hunter

Owensboro Hunter Fawn

Mar 19, 2016
    I got drawn this year, but don't believe I'll be able to go. I doubt it, but is there anyway to transfer to someone who wants to go in my place?

Also, how good is the hunting? If you don't do any scouting, is it possible to look over the maps, find a spot, and locate a bird? Also, during the quota hunts, do you run into a lot of other hunters?

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    No transfer to someone else at LBL.

Turkey populations are good .... but I would rate hunting as fair. Which is not because of the birds ... they will respond . Usually what makes it tough is being unfamiliar with the terrain in relation on how to setup on gobbling bird.

My strategy for LBL has always been locating birds in advance by driving roads and listening at daylight. I'll mark multiple locations of birds that way I have a plan A, B & C . If the spot is occupied by other hunters upon arrival on the day of my hunt...I just move on.

Which topo maps help... after the fact. Great for when you already located toms and figuring a route to set up.... but your not going to look at a map and locate toms. As such ... I'm not a huge fan of blundering around scouting a area. There will be some turkey sign just about everywhere... just don't tell me much. But knowing what ridge that toms on by listening at daylight is the most valuable piece of the puzzle.

On quota hunts ... be it deer or turkey... expect possible encounters with other hunters. Usually not bad but it happens when you got a hot tom gobbling his head off on up in the morning. Also good reason to have multiple toms located as I mentioned earlier. Have several spots to move to if you got company.

With all this said.... and no disrespect intended as circumstances arise. But if you get drawn and don't go.... your really just knocking out someone who would have enjoyed the opportunity. Which after the quota's there's an open hunt for everyone ... but it's normally not as good as the earlier quotas from the standpoint of hunting pressure. These birds get wise to hunters fairly quick after they hear every call in the book.

Sent from my IPhone using Tapatalk

10. Owensboro Hunter

Owensboro Hunter Fawn

Mar 19, 2016
    I really appreciate the feedback and do feel bad about not being able to go. Obviously should have thought this through more before putting my name in for the draw, but I have a three week old son at home now, along with a 15 month old daughter. A little more difficult to get away for a few days to properly scout than I thought.

11. Bladefoot

Bladefoot 6 pointer

Dec 6, 2010
    Goodlow Slough
  12. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Get enough people in a group and you can "wall off" several hundred acres by parking trucks at every turn off. Goes for deer too.

13. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    Been a long time since I hunted LBL, but I would scout for wks only to have someone camping under half the birds. The hunting would be better if they made you go to designated campgrounds. Of course that may be the rule now, like I said it's been a long time, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    I plan to sleep in the woods tomorrow night.