LBL question and answer thread

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by keith meador, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Boggs41076

Boggs41076 8 pointer

Oct 26, 2014
    Wolfe Creek, Ky
    Ok, I really appreciate it. A friend a I are trying to plan a trip of hopefully about 3 days this month or first of jAnuary. Maybe even 2 trips, thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    For sure there are big bucks in LBL, just like any big forest, but with 107,000 acres in KY alone, its no piece of cake getting one. I think I have read it is 95% forested, which IS NOT prime whitetail habitat. With an abundance of white oaks, a good acorn crop, and deer densities of 10 per square mile, the deer are scattered, and "needle in a haystack" comes to mind. To me that's the whole fun of it though. You really have to hunt hard, and cover some ground looking for a trail to and from feeding /bedding areas. Its a great hunt, but not shooting fish in a barrel like some with private land honey holes are used to.

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Found this the other day going through a box I had a bunch of old tags in. Brought back some good memories and maybe can relate to some when LBL was at its pinnacle in the 70's and early 80's concerning hunting.

It's a 1982-83 LBL hunting guide. Which I thought some might find interesting from the perspective of some of the regs back then, the number of quota hunts offered on the Ky portion and the harvest summary from the year before 1981-82.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MossyhornMathews

MossyhornMathews 6 pointer

Aug 25, 2009
    Laurel County
    That's pretty cool

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  5. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Probably not a coincidence My uncle alone used to farm a couple thousand acres back then, going to the check station on quota days was like going to one in Crittenden County, deer hunters waiting in line at the scales

6. davglo35

davglo35 Fawn

Oct 21, 2014
    The buck on page 9 of this thread. How much do you think he weighs?

7. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

Was a great period of time to be hunting LBL. At the time, LBL was "the place to hunt turkey in Kentucky" and had a decent whitetail herd.
    We still had a huntable fallow herd, fallows were legal to hunt in '82, fallow harvest of 58 fallows fall of '81. ( just about the time coyotes showed up ).
    Appreciate it, JD

8. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    What did he weigh davglo35?

9. snortwheeze

snortwheeze 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2004
    Any one have late season success at LBL? Thinking about going over for a couple of days. Never hunted there.

10. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  11. BowCrazed

BowCrazed Fawn

Jan 26, 2015
    Hey guys, I am planning an out-of-state deer hunting trip to LBL this coming November (2015) and have several questions. Other than the hunting license and deer permit, bowhunting LBL only requires the LBL user permit, correct? If I understand correctly, bowhunting in LBL is not draw hunt, correct? From my research, it seems as though areas 1,3,8, and 10 seem to be the most popular. Has anyone hunted areas 15 and 16? I cannot seem to find anyone who has hunted these areas. I have the map showing the planted fields and am researching topo maps looking for geographic areas, but what else can I do to give me an edge. I am planning a scouting trip late spring/ early summer. I have read all the above comments and am going to implement it into my gameplan. Thanks in advance guys.

12. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    IMO you won't find a big difference in any of the areas except the amount of agriculture( which I completely avoid anyway) I've never been in those areas but would guess overall they would be similar to the others

13. TLRanger

TLRanger Spike

Jun 3, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Couple of things you need to know......LBL is divided into two states, TN and KY. Areas 1 through 10 (plus 17) are in KY and areas 11 through 16 are in TN. To hunt LBL, you have to licensed in the state that you want to hunt, KY or TN plus a LBL hunter use permit, $25 which is good for both states. Area 15 and 16 are great areas for deer, especially area 15. All areas are about equally good, just depends on which one you get familiar with. To hunt KY, you will need a non-resident hunting license, a deer permit, and the LBL hunter use permit. To hunt TN, you will need a non-resident all game license, or a ten day all game license plus the LBL hunter use permit. I prefer area 10 in KY and area 15 in TN...........

14. BowCrazed

BowCrazed Fawn

Jan 26, 2015
    Thanks TLRanger. That covered all my questions.

15. scratcherky

scratcherky Fawn

Jun 25, 2009
    Louisville
    On your scouting trip, be sure to use tick repellent. They are really bad in LBL.