LBL or Knox

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by str8 shot, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Hummm....ever been to a Knox gun hunt that you didn't see other hunters? In fact, most of those big bucks that are killed there are killed by area guides, assnt. guides, companion hunters or civ. game wardens who use the other hunters to push their way.

As for which one, just put in for both in case you get drawn for a bad area.

2. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Kentucky
    The answer to your question: yes....

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I spend quite a bit of time at LBL....definitely no expert but I enjoy glassing fields in late August & early September. I can tell you ...theres some trophy class deer at LBL. I've always said & will stand by saying... LBL is one of your best public ground areas to harvest a trophy animal.

The biggest problem with LBL is its huge tracts of timber...with less & less agriculture to concentrate the deer. Years when we have good mast... the deer are scattered and unless you hit the right phase of rut... your just not going to have a good hunting experience. This year in my opinion was an exception to this. Slim to none acorn mast concentrated a lot of deer around what little agriculture areas there were. I have'nt hunted it very much...so far..this season but I had a muzzleloading hunt after Thanksgiving in area 6.... saw lots of deer and several small bucks including one decent buck that never offered a clear shot.

Another that bites people is hunting pressure. If you want a true LBL expierience without the hunting pressure... spend a little vacation time ...pick up a bow and hunt during the week. Or even better yet...hunt with a bow there when modern gun is in during state season. Its a different place. Quota gun hunts... stuck in your drawn area with orange around every corner is in no shape.. form or fashion..a quality LBL experience.

I'll also add.... LBL takes some time to learn to hunt. Areas 8 or 9 have some hoss bucks but they also have plenty of horse riders & motorcycle / atv riders. I'll also say that a lot of people take great pains in getting off the beaten path and end up seeing nothing.... only to jump deer within a few yards of the truck. These deer know every trick in the book and I've killed more deer & turkey within earshot of the Trace... than 1 1/2 mile hike in.

It takes time... and one day of scouting before a quota hunt or bowhunt is not enough. Your better off... finding a good location and concentrating on that spot over many years to locate the deer & learn the area. LBL is a get back to basics hunting area. Dont expect to see 20 deer like you would on your food plot in the state on one outing. You will be doing good after a few days hunting to see a half dozen deer but it doesnt mean the oppertunity to harvest a quality buck is'nt there.

4. I fully agree. I have been hunting LBL off and on since 1994. What you stated is true. For a hunter that lives 100 miles away as I do, you are better to pick a particular portion and learn it well. Just as you would the farm that you hunt near your home. No one, has the time to learn that whole place like the back of their hand And if anyone does, I wanna be their friend!:D

5. WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi 12 pointer

Apr 13, 2005
    Richmond
    Umm, yeah. 4 hours to LBL and 2 to Knox. :D

6. whitetailpredator

whitetailpredator 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2007
    Leitchfield, KY
    Hunted Knox the last 4 years on opening weekend of gun season, wont be back for a 5th. You get a bad area at knox and you better have a good book. There is never shortage of people you dont want to be in the woods with. This year Joe Dirt and his buddy walked up past me at 7:15 and walked the whole area 3 times. Last year had someone set up a pop-up blind with-in 20 yards of me at 8:00 and never knew I was there. Year before that hunted with Rambo himself.

Went fourwheeler riding at LBL a few times, see lots of deer. I would give LBL a try.

7. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    Was that not the best fishheads and rice you ever eat? Best in Leitchfield!

Go to the Farmer's Feed Mill next time!

8. WhiteRubi

WhiteRubi 12 pointer

Apr 13, 2005
    Richmond

No doubt it was good, Billy. It certainly wasn't what we expected though. :D

9. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    I'll take your word for it! I have never eat there! I like my food to say moooo instead of meow!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

10. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    This statement has me stumped.......
    I've hunted LBL since 1986. I've only seen one (1) bowhunter from my stand and make at least one (1) trip a year for my 2-4 day bowhunt, many years we go twice.
    We typically get drawn every other year for the gun hunt and I've never seen another hunter while on stand. I study the maps and get off the road, but I do the same at Knox.
    At Knox I can count on one hand the number of times I've never spotted a hunter on stand during the gun hunt (especially Saturday). I usually don't see many hunters from my bow stands, but I've seen some.
    Do you hunt the fields edges at LBL? That's the only thing I can figure. Just curious. My personal experience is just the opposite regarding hunters.
    As for big bucks, both places have them. I believe you have a better chance at LBL since you can hunt anywhere. If you get a good draw, there are defininely some monsters at Knox, but those areas are seldom open to bow hunting or scouting.

11. massive horns

massive horns BBBC Members

Oct 21, 2002
    Kentucky
    Let me just say the last time I hunted LBL was during a gun hunt, I was 3 miles in and saw 8 hunters by daybreak from my climber and counted 24 other hunters by the time I got back to the truck. No fields in sight, I was in big timber. Way too many hunters in designated areas.
    I do like the country LBL has to offer, as I do Knox. Biggest difference that I see is that Knox is broken up into separate areas as LBL is, however it is governed by area guides that bring you in, instead of just a free for all. Everyone is on the same page at the start of morning where they will be hunting.

There's no doubt that LBL has big deer. I saw enough sign to warrant this hypothesis. However, all we saw out of 8 guys for a weekend was one doe going mock 2 over a ridge and a slew of bullets flying past you. Its a big safety factor that concerned me.

As far as Knox goes, for the last three years we have been chosen; the members in our group including myself have seen nice bucks and lots of does. Not to mention all the bucks being checked in . Very impressive!!

As far as bowhunting either area, I believe you would not see many hunters..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007